SMB: Collecting your line on or after ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In light of the recent trend in SMB posts I have to ask:
When you deploy an SMB, how do you handle the line on your reel or finger spool?
Do you collect your line as you ascend, or ascend then collect your line from the surface?

Any comments and reasoning for either would be much appreciated.
Please also clarify if you use a reel or a finger spool.
Thanks in advance! :popcorn:

NEVER NEVER NEVER have slack line in the water. If you deploy a line, you collect it as you go.

BTW, I'm not talking about DROPPING the spool. I'm just talking about clipping it off at the depth where you shoot it. Respooling 100 feet of line would never appeal to me.

No, I got that... I shoot anywhere from 40m up, depending on the dive - so it could involve 100+ feet of recovery. Which apart form being unappealing as you say, might slightly annoy the other people who were waiting to be picked up by the boat

My three cents: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! This is a skill that you want to master before you find yourself painted into a corner. If you have done it a few times, it will be easy to remember how to do it when you need to. Especially if you happen to be under stress. I am amazed at how many divers tie a reel and an SMB to their rigs, but have never deployed it other than on the surface, during their open water course. Don't believe me? Ask around...

I wind as I go by using the double ender; it is kind of difficult to imagine it but I clip one end of the double ender onto the line (the other side is not attached to anything), then use it to wind up the slack as I go up.

Back from the dead after 12 years…🤦🏻‍♂️
[ Also applicable to some of the authors in this thread ] :(

A different take:

I use an SMB for non-tech WWPF diving, in current, small boat pick-up.

My SMB has 30’ of 3.5 mm Perlon line tied to it, wound around the stowed SMB

I inflate it at the end of the drift dive, I hang off of it blowing Nitrogen. It’s a safety stop autopilot.

ANY boatsman worth tipping has already seen my bubbles. An erect SMB is not really required. They can see anything. One that is clearly marked with my ‘symbol’ so he knows it’s one of his lost sheep, a good idea very few divers accept, boatsman love it.

He arranges his order of pick-up by convenience or perceived need of the diver. I wait until that boat is clearly heading for me, then I ascend. I will not bob around on the surface- I might miss something cool and why risk getting seasick?

So… when the boat comes close, I surface, and the helper gets ‘just the tip’ of my SMB and he can then haul me close and to the ladder by pulling that mountaineering grade line. It’s easier for me and allows him control this tricky maneuver. This is really a dangerous moment.

I use that line for reboarding, 30’ of line is nbd. Haul me aboard, skipper.

I do understand that this OP is talking about different lengths of line for different applications, but “I would say” that of all SMB’s that exist:

60% have never been practice deployed more than once

90% are never used after purchase other than as ornamentation

5% of divers can deploy them from depth without risk of rapid ascent or entanglement

[ In interests of full disclosure, my SMB is an OMS that’s a ridiculous 8’ long small winky compensation device, I spent a night adrift off of Tobago, so that’s what I tell chicks that giggle over perceived size issues, just sayin’]

My short line is more of a diver recovery aid.

Back
Top Bottom