SMB as backup lift source.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do the rest of you agree with this?
I think it's important we start from common ground.
And more important, now that we've defined the buoyancy criteria, "balanced rig" means NO weight can be ditched, correct?

"balanced rig" means NO weight can be ditched
Why, exactly?

I'm totally on board with the weighting for a balanced rig, I just can't understand why it should be required that no weight can be ditched. I can understand why someone who's owing a serious amount of deco would want to ensure that they won't inadvertently lose any of their weights, but why "only fixed weights" should be a universal requirement... Nope. I don't understand that.

Do the rest of you agree with this?
I think it's important we start from common ground.
And more important, now that we've defined the buoyancy criteria, "balanced rig" means NO weight can be ditched, correct?

No a balanced rig does NOT mean no ditchable weight.

Why, exactly?

I'm totally on board with the weighting for a balanced rig, I just can't understand why it should be required that no weight can be ditched. I can understand why someone who's owing a serious amount of deco would want to ensure that they won't inadvertently lose any of their weights, but why "only fixed weights" should be a universal requirement... Nope. I don't understand that.
Exactly!!!
Well, let's see if we can flesh this out.

No a balanced rig does NOT mean no ditchable weight.
Please explain.
There's something from the balanced guys that I'm not understanding.
I mean, there are a whole host of thick wetsuit rigs that will do just fine with a modest amount of weight ditching, to enable them to swim up, and then become neutral at 10-15' for offgassing due to wetsuit expansion.
Are they balanced? Not from what I've thought I've heard. Did I misunderstand?

Please explain.
There's something from the balanced guys that I'm not understanding.

How you carry the weight doesn’t define if a rig is a balanced rig or not. I carry some
of my weight on a weight belt, I’m still diving a balanced rig.

How you carry the weight doesn’t define if a rig is a balanced rig or not. I carry some
of my weight on a weight belt, I’m still diving a balanced rig.
But do you plan to ditch some of that weight in the event of bcd/wing failure at depth, because you couldn't otherwise swim it up?

I mean, there are a whole host of thick wetsuit rigs that will do just fine with a modest amount of weight ditching, to enable them to swim up, and then become neutral at 10-15' for offgassing due to wetsuit expansion.
Are they balanced?

Yes.

Then you and I are brothers from different mothers.
Somehow, I have the feeling that this is not a universally held belief among balanced rig divers.
Can you REALLY wear ditchable weight?
If so, this whole balanced rig controversy is just a tempest in a teapot.
Just weight yourself properly! Go for zero buoyancy at 15' or zero at the surface, with compensation for wetsuit compression, and you're fine!

Are there others who would care to chime in, in support or with counterarguments?

But do you plan to ditch some of that weight in the event of bcd/wing failure at depth, because you couldn't otherwise swim it up?

If I need to then yes.

First 2 mins of this video from dir 2004 (the guys who came up with it) says just that.

Back
Top Bottom