SMB as backup lift source.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when you surface and go more vertical, it seems to me you should inflate a lift bag or SMB because the suit gas will leak from the neck.
I've never, ever had that issue. Never a single fart from my neck seal. As long as I remember to close my shoulder valve, I've never had gas leaking from my drysuit.

But then I tuck my neck seal like you're supposed to do with a neoprene seal. No matter if it's neoprene, latex or silicone. That way, the pressure in my neck area fills the fold in the seal and provides extra pressure to the seal/neck contact.

YMMV, of course.

As long as I remember to close my shoulder valve, I've never had gas leaking from my drysuit.
I think it's all true, up to a point.
But if you're using your drysuit for redundant buoyancy, somewhere along the spectrum to Michelin Man it would not be surprising to begin to bleed from the least effective seal, wrist or neck.
We're not talking about neutral buoyancy volumes, but additional volume beyond that to make up for a failed 15-25 liter wing. I think even a good seal will leak, or the extra pressure in your neck area will cause its own problems.
And thus the balanced rig argument begins again, lol...

Also seems like the only way to make a "balanced rig" with double steels is with a dry suit or adding a couple of floaty pool noodles to my rig lol.

Wait, I forget. Why do you need to use double steel tanks again?

The tech diving certificate I’m working towards requires doubles.

That said it’s also nice having extra gas.

Sorry, I meant why steel doubles, as opposed to double AL80s.

Well, I hate wearing weights for one reason. Also, I’ve already purchased them. I guess I expected to be able to swim them up. Live and learn!

How much air do al80s hold anyway and do shops overfill them like they do these lp85s?

Maybe I can swim them up. I only tried briefly and forgot I could use my arms in such an emergency lol.

Well, I hate wearing weights for one reason. Also, I’ve already purchased them. I guess I expected to be able to swim them up. Live and learn!

How much air do al80s hold anyway and do shops overfill them like they do these lp85s?
Wearing a weight belt is far less inconvineient than being on an out of control descent because you’re over weighted with steels and a wetsuit.

You’re getting in to technical diving. The margins are slimmer and the consequences are great. Half measures and shortcuts will do you a big disservice.

No one overfills aluminum tanks.

Seriously, look into a balanced rig. Most tech diving classes do not teach ditchable weight.

Maybe I'm misreading your posts, but it sounds like you are having a problem swimming up your steel doubles in a compressed wetsuit with a wing failure. If you are setting up your rig so that you will be neutrally buoyant with near empty tanks in shallow water, then the only thing that is changing (i.e. that you would have to swim up in a wing failure situation) would be the weight of the gas plus the lost buoyancy of your wetsuit. Ideally, this is the amount of buoyancy that you would lose with a wing failure, because the only thing that your BC is used for during a dive is to compensate for those two things - it should be empty at your last stop (assuming that you used most of your gas). If it isn't, then you are overweighted..

This is one of the reasons why people don't dive heavy wetsuits with steel doubles, the buoyancy swing can be pretty large. So if your steel tanks don't let you swim them up, you could use aluminum tanks and add just as much weight as you need to make your rig neutral. And you don't have to wear the weight, you could put it in a V-weight pouch between your tanks. Much closer to your center of mass that way, it doesn't shift around like a weight belt, and can't be lost inadvertently with a deco obligation.

I know that it's a pain to get rid of stuff that you already bought, but tech diving is a big financial commitment. You shouldn't cheap out on your gear, it really has to be dialed in. Steel doubles hold their resale value, since lots of tech divers dive dry, where the extra weight is welcomed. You should be able to swap them for double AL80s with money left over.

You can't get a "cave fill" with AL80s the way you can with LP85s, so the steel tanks would give you a bit more gas. On the other hand, not every shop will do that. Also, you could get double AL100s (although they are a bit more negative).

So with near empty tanks in shallow water, id be pretty close at around -6 or -7 lbs buoyant. Is that good enough? I guess if my wing(s) ever failed I could just start purging air if I kept sinking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom