Smartphones in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carl_F

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I used to be technically savvy but not so much any more. How would one go about getting a smartphone (Blackberry or iPhone) to work in Roatan off the cell network?

Thanks,

Carl

Who is your iPhone with? AT&T International works there - a buddy and I talked all week as our group moved around the island. Mostly on the north side if it matters. Check yours here: Travel Guide - Wireless from AT&T

They're Verizon. Though I don't mind the blackberry not working since its a work phone.:D

Unless Verizon has International roaming also you might have a problem. I would assume you'd have to set it up in advance with them here also. At least with my (non-iPhone) Verizon phone, there's no sim card so no way to add an alternate carrier afaik. My AT&T phone is a Quad band GSM Motorola.

They sell cheap phones with limited prepaid minutes on Roatan - I've read they're around $50-70?

Tigo and Claro? are the Roatan cell providers - there's a store in French Harbour:

TIGO
Mall Mega Plaza
French Harbour Roatan
Telephone: 2265-8446

Internet service is somewhat reliable if you use Skype. Some of the resorts like Anthony's Key have WiFi also. So do many in West Bay.

Lifted shamlessly from: CDMA vs GSM - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

GSM and CDMA are competing wireless technologies with GSM enjoying about an 82% market share globally. In the U.S., however, CDMA is the more dominant standard. Technically GSM (Global System for Mobilecommunications, originally from Groupe Spécial Mobile) is a specification of an entire wireless network infrastructure, while CDMA relates only to the air interface — the radio portion of the technology.
Code division multiple access (CDMA) describes a communication channel access principle that employs spread-spectrum technology and a special coding scheme (where each transmitter is assigned a code). CDMA also refers to digital cellular telephony systems that use this multiple access scheme, as pioneered by QUALCOMM, and W-CDMA by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), which is used in GSM’s UMTS.

Honduras is GSM. Your Verizon iPhone will still play music and browse the web, but not much else. Take heart though. AT&T charges so much for International coverage, you don't want to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom