SmartCom being serviced for > 9.5 weeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aymanme

Registered
Reaction score
I returned my SmartCom to the local dealer after 1 dive b/c the quick connect o-ring was flawed and the Remaining Bottom Time had the 99 displayed (as others had seen). I was originally told 3 weeks so I figured we would get it back for at least a few more dives this summer. I purchased it from an LDS, so sending it back was pretty much the only option (as they had nothing to exchange it with).

I checked back after 3 weeks and they told me it would be another 3 weeks. It's been 9.5 weeks so far and I havent heard anything. At this point, if we get it back now or december it probably doesnt make much difference. But, I really dont want a computer that I paid for in 2002 so that I can use it in 2003. I would rather like to be "made whole" again. Has anybody had prior dealings in such situations? My concernrs are that I might get the computer back soon, not use it until next april/may, find a problem, and then have to pay for service since the year warranty has expired ...

It has already cost me as we had to rent a console for our last trip.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
- ayman

Have you called ScubaPro directly? Or better yet, go into your LDS and ask them to call while you are there. You are paying for the warranty and service when you buy the unit.

Yeouch...that's harsh. I would call Uwatec and really yell!!

My LDS is cool about these kinds of things. When we brought our SmartCOM's in for warranty service, he handed us new ones and then sent the bad ones in....we had about...oh...30 second turn around =)

This may not relate very well, but here goes.

Call your LDS once a week and ask about your dive computer. Don't let them forget about you.

I have a local DME (Durable Medical Equipment) dealer who is horrible about such things. They fail to follow through on much of anything without constant reminders.

I once took a powerchair joystick module in for repair. I didn't keep in touch. After a month I started making phone calls.

Initially the unit sat in the shop, for months. Then it got sent in for repair, but while it sat in the shop for months the company it came from went out of business. Then it got sent to a different company for repair. Then it came back, t hen the DME didn't call me to let me know it was back, then someone else with a broken joystick module came in and bought mine, then they had to send in the other customer's joystick for repair. Then it came back and I got it home, but without any of the now non-obtainable mounting hardware. Total time? Nine months! I could have given birth to it in nine months. Good thing I had a 10 year old spare.

Chances are that no LDS is as bad as most DME's but keep in contact with your LDS just in case.

Maybe the LDS has a problem in how the handle warranty issues. Have they even sent it back or are they just putting you off because they haven't done anything? I ask this because ScubaPro is usually way more responsive that this and typically will replace a new product (and one dive is still new) rather than repair it.

Perhaps your LDS need to know that you expect them to meet your needs which at this point aren't the least bit demanding.

Thanks for the responses, I agree that 1 dive is new and that 9.5 weeks is outrageously long. I have been on the LDS for a while and they probably sense that I am not happy. On my most recent phone call, I was told that uwatec has "repaired" the unit and has shipped it back. Now for some reason it is taking longer than the pony express to travel from CA to TX, but that is another issue.

Aside from that, I was originally told that for a unit that clearly had a manufacturing problem they would replace the unit with a new one. I suppose when I receive it I will verify whether its new or repaired.

In any case, I am still waiting for my computer. I'll let you know what happens next.

- ayman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom