smart way to buy regs online?

Which internet sales site do you trust the most?

• Dive-Inn

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Simply Scuba

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Leisure Pro

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Other - name?

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merkin

Contributor
Reaction score
Alright, I was going to buy Apeks regs from a LDS, but I've been waiting a long time just to get a quote on what I wanted?!

Let's say, hypothetically, I "sold out" and went for cheap internet gear (please no arguments here about the merits of this - it's all over this board already). If you were going to buy online - what are the nuances to doing it well?

How do you assemble everything - primary, backup, SPG? Will they do it for you?

How do you customize everything so it's comfortable? (I know, it couldn't be worse than rentals, but...)

What the heck is routing?

How do you do this DIR? (I guess I could buy it regular and change the configuration later?)

How do you get the regulator serviced? (lie and say it was a gift from someone or that you bought it somewhere else?)

What's the deal with the warrantys? (no LDS scare tactics please, I'd rather hear from people who have ordered through the internet with this)

Are there any important questions I've forgotten to ask?

Also please try the survey...

DIR? Buy the correct length hoses (SimplyScuba has some of the hoses, but you're probably better off getting them locally though Fifth Dimension etc), and assemble them yourself.

You want to assemble the regs yourself so you know it's done properly - all divers should know how to change regulator hoses. The only thing you have to deal with is the risk the regulators are not acceptably tuned and you get freeflows etc, which require attention - I've made 3 regulator purchases over the web (DiveInn and SimplyScuba), with a 4th enroute, and I've encountered no problems so far. YMMV.

Not sure what you mean by "customize".

Haven't had to deal with warranty issues. Servicing is just around the corner though... I know a shop. I think.

merkin once bubbled...
Alright, I was going to buy Apeks regs from a LDS, but I've been waiting a long time just to get a quote on what I wanted?!

Let's say, hypothetically, I "sold out" and went for cheap internet gear (please no arguments here about the merits of this - it's all over this board already). If you were going to buy online - what are the nuances to doing it well?

It comes assembled. If you need to add like a drysuit hose or something you can do it yourself but it's easy.

How do you customize everything so it's comfortable? (I know, it couldn't be worse than rentals, but...)
What do you mean?

How do you do this DIR? <snip>
YOu pay twice as much for the same stuff... ;-) You can order long hoses (is this what you mean?) and attach them your self. It's as easy as screwing in a light bulb. (ok two light-bulbs)

How do you get the regulator serviced? (lie and say it was a gift from someone or that you bought it somewhere else?)
You take it to your LDS and pay through the nose. This is *the* big disadvantage to buying on line. You get a nice price to start with but some of the costs are hidden...... YOu can service your own stuff if you can get the parts but I'm guessing you're not quite there yet.....

What's the deal with the warrantys? (no LDS scare tactics please, I'd rather hear from people who have ordered through the internet with this)
You *can* get your LDS to honour the warranty but it takes either a good relationship with them or a lot of sliming. Chances are good that you'll have to send it back to the on-line shop where you bought it if you want warranty service. If you do this they reserve the right to sort it out their own way so there's no gurantee that the reg you get back will be yours or new. This is another big strike against online discount shops.

Also please try the survey...
What survey?

R..

merkin once bubbled...

If you buy all from one place, they will probably set everything up for you if you ask. I bought my first stage and one second stage from DiveInn (during the "closeout" of the Apeks TX/DS4 series) and the other second (ATX50) from another source. Bought hoses on my own, and an SPG. Bought lube and a buncha extra o-rings from Reef Scuba. Looked everywhere for a frickin' metric hex key (people around here don't seem to have heard of the metric system yet) so I could take out the port plugs. Very lightly lubed the o-rings on the male ends of the LP and HP hoses. Attached the hoses. Dabbed little spots of lube inside the second stage female end to lube the o-ring as it goes in. Tightened everything hand tight and then gave a just a tiny bit more torque with a 6-inch wrench.

Rent a tank, get in a pool, fuss with the adjustments on your second stages so they breathe nice and don't freeflow too easily. If there are problems at this point, pay someone to tune your regs or send them back to the supplier for an exchange/refund.

Take/send it to a good tech, or buy Vance Harlow's book and learn on your own. After reading the book, you may prefer to just have a tech do it, but at least you'll know more about how your life support equipment works and what to look out for. If a shop doesn't want your business if you didn't buy it there, there's surely someone who does want your business. I think I saw from another thread that you're in South Florida? Should be plenty of competition...

Not sure you gain much with a warranty anyway...ScubaPro has a lifetime parts warranty, but labor is what costs for servicing.

Simplyscuba will supply them assembled as will sebascuba ( they are a UK offshoot of an Italian LDS and are very good value for Mares/Scubapro/Cressi and other Italian manufacturers.

When it comes to Apeks, it makes total sense to buy online as long as you can get them seviced locally. I was shocked to find out an ATX50 was $500 locally and you get an ATX50 and ATX40 combo for a little more than $350 online. However, when I tried out an ATX100 I wasn't impressed and ended up buying a Scuba Pro MK25/S600 locally. I have to agree with the others, if they aren't willing to offer service then they don't deserve your business. But also keep in mind, that if you intend to buy online, please don't waste the time of the LDS. The shop I bought my equipment from took the time to go over everything I need or wanted to know. That is what earned my business. If it takes weeks to just get a price quote, then the shop must not want your money.

I went in 3+ weeks ago and made a follow-up call - still no quotes forthcoming from my LDS re: apeks regulators... This isn't a good sign for future service/repair of regulators either is it?

Sounds like I could assemble it myself if I bought it from several places off the internet and the savings could be used for the recommended regulator book. Worst-case-scenario, I figured I could just take it to a different city and have them serviced there - would this work or would this store want to see papers!?

Some of these online divestores are vague so it's not clear to me - are the hoses for the SPG always included? If not, what hoses do I need to buy separately for that and a Hacylon 27 lb. Pioneer wing (HP, IP or LP and lengths)? I've heard different stories here about shorter 'long' hose length for a single tank setup - but I'm 6'4" and my height is in my spine - would the 7' do alright?

Thanks for everyone's input!

merkin once bubbled...
Some of these online divestores are vague so it's not clear to me - are the hoses for the SPG always included? If not, what hoses do I need to buy separately for that and a Hacylon 27 lb. Pioneer wing (HP, IP or LP and lengths)? I've heard different stories here about shorter 'long' hose length for a single tank setup - but I'm 6'4" and my height is in my spine - would the 7' do alright?
Usually, an SPG or console will come with the HP hose when you buy it. Same for the Halcyon wing - it should come with the LP inflator hose.

As long as you're not grossly huge in the chest area, either a 6' hose (under the arm) or 7' hose (routed under canister light, or tucked in the waistband) will work for your height - that's been my experience. I'm just under 6'4". A number of people have indicated on ScubaBoard that the 5' is too short for them.

The bit about the LP inflator hose is incorrect. As is the bit about the SPG.

Not trying to be rude :wink: Just wouldn't want someone to be suprised when they found out they had to get hoses as well.

(My experience: bought a SPG from LeisurePro, came with the SPG and boot. Bought a Halcyon Pioneer from a LDS in Houston, it was just the wing itself with corrugated hose and inflator attached)

jeff

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Usually, an SPG or console will come with the HP hose when you buy it. Same for the Halcyon wing - it should come with the LP inflator hose.

As long as you're not grossly huge in the chest area, either a 6' hose (under the arm) or 7' hose (routed under canister light, or tucked in the waistband) will work for your height - that's been my experience. I'm just under 6'4". A number of people have indicated on ScubaBoard that the 5' is too short for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom