Smart Trak to Logtrak import

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Suunto as my now backup and my Shearwater as the main computer. Both are simple to use and both have an upload programme that although are not perfect they are more functional than LogTrak. The DM5 isn't perfect by any stretch but is still head and shoulders above the Scubapro offering. I do have Diving log 6 but then you do have to buy the extra for your iPhone to sync both. I think that is just a bit too expensive for what you get. Both Shearwater and Suunto allow you to do both at no extra cost.

I just bought my new G2 and have been able to export out of Smart Trak and input into LogTrak It was easy once you select the proper file to export to. (Travel Trak CE Log Book is the export type) When I went to look at my 100 dives I saw that only 53 were transferred. Anyone see this issue? I'm not sure how to proceed... Any help is appreciated...

First ensure you have the latest versions of SmartTrak (v2.09) and Logtrak (v1.6) installed on your computer. If you have a lot of dives, you may want to try importing 5 or 10 at a time and see if that works.

I am quite amazed that anyone uses SCUBAPRO LogTRAK as it must surely compete with Suunto Dive Manager 5 for the accolade of "Worst Ever Dive Log Software" SCUBAPRO SmartTrak is far better and should be developed further. Diving log 6 is even better still and, may I suggest, beats everything else available on the market for its comprehensive facilities.

I also use Diving Log 6 with my G2. It's good software though I've been lost at times in the menus as it's almost too flexible. Had I known the problems with the G2 and LogTrak I probably would have stayed with the trusty Galileo Sol. It was a little bulky but did the job and was easy to read. At night the G2 is nice but the old Galileo was fine with the backlight on throughout the dive, and the heart rate monitor on the Galileo was more dependable.

Had I known the problems with the G2 and LogTrak I probably would have stayed with the trusty Galileo Sol.
Hi Hatul,
Other than LogTrak and the issue with the heart rate monitor, which seemed to be related to a weak battery you discussed in another post and solved by installing a new one, is there any other problem/dislikes regarding the G2?

Hi Hatul,
Other than LogTrak and the issue with the heart rate monitor, which seemed to be related to a weak battery you discussed in another post and solved by installing a new one, is there any other problem/dislikes regarding the G2?
The issues we see are
1. Temperamental HR readings not seen on the Galileo. Not sure if I totally resolved with battery change. But so far so good.
2. The small fonts on the text on the screen can be difficult to read ( found changing to blue text helps to some extent)
3. Someone noted unusually short NDL on second dive, though I've not seen this when comparing with my backup Aladin Tec 3G which uses the older Galileo algorithm
4. The buttons have been rather finicky. They have to pressed and let go in a particular way. I found it helps to repeatedly press the buttons when rinsing.
5. The terrible software much worse than Galileo's SmartTrak. I have to use the commercial Diving Log 6.

Of course to be fair we have to mention the improvements: active color display, smaller form factor, adaptation for bungee strap and improved firmware upgrade system (the Galileo could be bricked during the upgrade), and improved screen protector ( the Galileo came with a clumsy plastic cover).

Adam

May I add that Scubapro/Uwatec owners are not the only ones in this boat. I own a Tusa dive computer (DC) and the software that came with it is pretty rudimentary. Really the only thing I use it for is to change the parameters of the DC itself. And I think this is where the manufacturers are making a mistake; providing substandard dive logs. In my opinion, they should focus on creating on the following three software features;
  1. A function to update the DC firmware
  2. A user interface to change the DC settings
  3. A dive planner specifically for the algorithm used in the DC model
As for actually logging dive profiles, adding commentary and inserting photos, that can be left to third party software such as Diving Log 6 or Subsurface. Today, it is not uncommon for divers to own more than one computer; be it for backup or a watch type to taken on holidays (instead of lugging the monster Galileo Sol). Unless the second computer is from the same manufacturer, there is no way to consolidate your dives unless you print off the dives and maintain a hardcopy binder or you use a third party software program. No manufacturer has the interest to cater for other types of DC's. And because of that, they should really just focus on the three features listed above.

Personally I think Scubapro/Uwatec is doing itself a disservice by not including a dive planner for its algorithm like Suunto did for its proprietary RGBM in DM5. To gain a better understanding of the Suuntos and what decompression profiles the computers were likely to generate, I was able to play with their algorithm within the DM5 software.

Because the G2 and previous Galileos use heart rate, breathing rate and temperature to adjust a diver's NDL and deco obligation, I downloaded both SmartTrak and LogTrak thinking they too had a dive planner like Suunto so I could better understand how these factors influenced the algorithm. I was disappointed that both programs do not have a dive planner which is a shame because reading these forums I think a lot of divers shy away from these features and turn them off because they don't have a complete understanding in how they work and how they will impact a dive.

I must admit that I have an ever decreasing regard for Scubapro.
I originally had a 2nd hand Aladin Sport. Bullet proof. Only had to change battery (going on future dealings, I am in doubt if this was required) and rescue it in the surf when it unclipped while getting into a semi rigid (still unable to manually unclip!).
I gave it as a present to the DM at the resort I go to annually. Since then, she has used it on every dive extensively. It still has battery and works without a hitch.

Then I got a Smart Z. Worked fine until it refused to pair a few years later. Sent to the agents. They replaced the battery of the unit (still had aroung 70%) and sold me a new sender.
From then on, I had to re synch virtually each dive session until about 6 months later it would not pair.
The at the end of Sept 2018, it packed up completely.
I returned it to the agents, who informed me that the battery terminal had broken. The only explanation was I probably dropped it. It needs to be noted that the agents were the only ones to work on it (the previous year when doing the unnecessay battery change). Then they blithely told me they had informed me at that change that the terminal was dicey. In what life?
They told me the battery of the new sender unit was flat??? But the wrinkle was that it was not the one sold to me!
I thought maybe a swop had occurred at one of the dive sites until reveiw of my dive logs showed that I had not dived outside my Club scene, so the unit was never out of my possession. I have checked the sender units at the club, but all match.
In the end I had to settle for a Luna, which was rather expensive and an overkill to my needs.
To add to my distaste for Scubapro dealings, I was unable to get replacement parts for a 2nd stage. (Diaphragm and faceplate that had been damaged.) I was supposed to send the whole unit to them to fix. Need professional trained technician to remove the old and replace. Purlease.
Luckily I found compatible parts elsewhere. (It is amazing how many of the basic parts of older models are sourced from the same manufacturer.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom