Smallest Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc2

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm an ocassional rec. diver. I dive Nitrox about half the time. I'm looking for a dive computer that also would be a decent watch to wear while on a dive vacation. Here's what I've run across:

Citizen Aqualand NX - Looks like this does it all. Retail price is $850 but I can get it at dealer cost which I think is $350. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact you have to recharge the batteries monthly which on one end is a great feature since you don't have to pay for battery replacements! I guess since I will only wear it on vacations, this feature is actually a good point rather than a bad one.

Suunto Mosquito - The discount retail price should be around the same price I can get the Citizen for. I know more people will be familiar with this one as it has been around longer and has more of a dive computer heritage than a watch heritage. I like the larger display even though the sizes of these computers are suppose to be near identical right? I'm curious what the difference in weight is as I've heard the Mosquito is nice and light which would be key for wearing all day.

Mares Nemo - This would cost me more than the other two by about $150+ but it looks the best. I'm not sure how big it is. However this one doesn't even have a date display and it appears that to get the time display (watch mode) you have to press a button?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

for my money, Oceanic makes one of the nicest of this class:
http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_atom.html

Problem is that the numbers are small enough that in the darkness where I dive I can't read the thing. You may have younger eyes than I do, however!

FWIW, this is a wireless gas-integrated computer.

Wow, that Oceanic is nice. I was thinking a wireless air sensor would be very nice to have. Thanks for the tip. Why isn't the Oceanic more visible - I never ran across it?

Order of preference, Oceanic, Stinger, Mosquito............

Note: You can change gas mixes on the fly with the Oceanic.

I found a bunch of info regarding many of these Oceanic units leaking and having to be sent back and they had to make a new mold or something. I wonder how I can tell if I will be receiving one of the old, potentially defective ones. (That's the problem with buying a 1.0 version product.)

jc2:
I found a bunch of info regarding many of these Oceanic units leaking and having to be sent back and they had to make a new mold or something. I wonder how I can tell if I will be receiving one of the old, potentially defective ones. (That's the problem with buying a 1.0 version product.)

Agreed, if there's water in it, guess what...........

I'm partial to the Citizen. The Stinger is awesome, but too big for my small wrists. The Citizen fits just right and I can wear it as a watch. I got the Titanium version, which is supposedly lighter weight, too. Good deal for the price.

:)

I really like the mosquito, it's small, lightweight and the user replaceable battery is nice. It's also unobtrusive as a watch, ie it's not bright and flashy, which depending on where you are traveling to can be a good thing.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom