Small wing to go with OMS IQ Lite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterpurrs

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all! First time poster, long time lurker here. I'm working on my first BC system and would love some advice!

Recently purchased an OMS IQ Lite. Trying to find the smallest wing possible to go with it. I'm a petite Asian woman, 5'3", 115lbs. I have decent buoyancy and use 1-2kg lead in a 3mm wetsuit. I only dive single-tank in Southeast Asia. I travel carry-on only, so everything must be ultra-light.

I've found three options:
- VDH Argonauts 18 Store | Vintage Double Hose
- Deep 6 Tropical 20 Deep 6 9kg/20lb Lift Tropical Wing
- Oxycheq Mach V Chroma 18 OxyCheq - OxyCheq 18# MACH V Chroma Series Single Tank Wing - Yellow

How do I pick between them? How do I know which one would fit the OMS IQ Lite? OMS says "The IQ lite has cam slots the are 7 inches apart. The grommet holes are 11 inches on center if you are using a plate with an STA." My understanding is the IQ Lite fully supports single-tank setup, so I guess the comment about the plate and STA isn't relevant to me.

Is there any other wing you'd recommend, especially something not black? :wink: I just want to be able to quickly identify my gear from a distance.

Thank you!!!!

I am not sure that I follow, you already bought the BC with the wing but you want another wing instead of the original one that came with the complete set?
The IQ & IQ-Lite are deluxe style harnesses with integral softplates. They are frequently shown as packages with a wing lately, but are available separately. IQ LITE Backpack

^ Correct!

So OMS got back to me and said the Deep 6 would fit, but VDH said the Argonaut won't. I was alllllmosttttt ready to buy the Deep 6 until someone offered an Oxycheq 18 for the same price as the Deep 6. If the Oxycheq fits my harness, I prob will just go for it

So OMS got back to me and said the Deep 6 would fit, but VDH said the Argonaut won't. I was alllllmosttttt ready to buy the Deep 6 until someone offered an Oxycheq 18 for the same price as the Deep 6. If the Oxycheq fits my harness, I prob will just go for it

Why not the wing from OMS? Is it too "big" for you?

it is! 27lb is far too much lift for me. def want something <20lb

The pictures of the Oxycheq that I see on their site look like they don't have camband slots, so you would have to use a single tank adapter (STA). This would remove any benefit of having a smaller, lighter wing. I would go for the Deep 6 wing, as it has slots and a built-in single tank stabilizer so you don't need an STA.

The Oxycheq 18lb singles wings have camband slots and roll control stabilizers. I actually use it with my VDH plate.

Grommet sizes are standard. Cam band slits are standard-ish across the industry, but it is possible to find some combinations that won't work. However most will.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either VDH, Deep6, or Oxycheq.

I have the OMS IQ Lite Backpack and the VDH 18 wing. I haven't used this configuration yet but out of curiosity I put the two together. They fit like a glove.
oms vdh.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom