small part

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I bought myself a new reg (sherwood) in February and am now on the 3rd mouth piece. Anybody got a suggestion on something sturdier? Can't say what kind I have been buying (no name), but be it clear or black about 40 dives later the bit on the right side breaks thru. I had 0 such problems with my privious reg (Tusa) - had the same mouth piece the entire time I used it. Should I try a tusa mp?

Yeah, try a couple of different kinds. Knock wood I still have my original mouthpiece on one of my Oceanics that is from 94!! And my other one is from '98! I hope they never die coz I don't think they make them anymore :(

There are lots of different ones out there and some companies definitely make a "better" one than others - even when they look the same...

Sounds like your LP hose is pushing the reg out of your mouth.
If you don't dive with a long hose you may find that moving the LP exit on the 1st stage to a different one may relieve this pressure.

What will alleviate the biting pressure you are applying is using an "orthodontic" mouth piece which has the bridge across the top of the mouth - like the US Divers "Comfibite". The regulator stays in position with almost no bite pressure. When I first used one of these I gagged a little but I insisted and I got used to it. Really much more comfortable.

There are also moldable mouthpieces - I think Oceanics have one. The first time you dip them in hot water and then bite. There is a block of moldable material on each side which spreads out to fit your teeth & gums.

I have the same mouth piece that came with my reg when I bought it in 1988. Just too lazy to find a more comfortable one and I don't dive enough for it to make a big difference.

justleesa:
I bought myself a new reg (sherwood) in February and am now on the 3rd mouth piece. Anybody got a suggestion on something sturdier? Can't say what kind I have been buying (no name), but be it clear or black about 40 dives later the bit on the right side breaks thru. I had 0 such problems with my privious reg (Tusa) - had the same mouth piece the entire time I used it. Should I try a tusa mp?

It sounds like there are a few problems going on here.

1. the 2nd stage may not be sitting in your mouth properly. Check to see if the hose is too long or too short. If using a standard "short" hose set up the hose should probably be about 24 inches long so it makes a clean loop to the right.

2. if you are biting through the mouthpiece you might try a lighter touch, dont bite down so hard. The mouthpiece should sit in your mouth comfortably without much more than closing your mouth to keep it in place.

3. Get a better quality mouthpiece. AquaLung Comforbite (2 types) are small, comfortable and very durable. They stay in place with just the front teeth holding them in place with a little pallet guard.

4. if you have a serious maxiofacial issue (ie jaw not in place etc) try a SeaCure moldable mouthpiece -- they are kind big but they are warm/fitted and then hold the precise dental form of your mouth making them stay in place without biting down as hard as you are.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

miketsp:
Sounds like your LP hose is pushing the reg out of your mouth.
If you don't dive with a long hose you may find that moving the LP exit on the 1st stage to a different one may relieve this pressure.
I must admitt that when I first got it I had complained about it pushing it out. I guess I have gotten used to it and forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks Joel!

Sounds like solid advice to me! I'll look into it. Thanks so much for taking the time

Aloha,
Lisa

nope, don't have a swivel....I'll check on one when I get back to the shop and run thru the catalogs on Monday :wink: Thanks

Either the comfobite or the seacure is the best bet. But I think that relaxing your death grip should come first. I know that the sherwood mouthpieces are shyte, but I would recommend the Seacure. They are alot harder as they are custom moulded. It soulds expensive but think of what you have already spent and think that this will be your last.

Back
Top Bottom