Small manta rays.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, haven't been able to find a good still photo that I've taken of one jumping yet. *Edit* Actually I did end up finding a few OK shots.

Jumping%20Rays.jpg

Most of my shots are just to far away to really show any detail, but I did get some video of a few playing in the surf and jumping. The jumping is toward the end of the video.

[youtubehq]l53lGqT-jCI[/youtubehq]

And this underwater video is of a shoal/school(?) of about twenty from last June, that I shot with a GoPro. I was following them on my waverunner which was the only way I could have possibly kept up with them.

[youtubehq]mu_3pSGQSG0[/youtubehq]

Some of the theories I've heard for why they jump include; that it's part of there mating ritual; the females are trying to dislodge there eggs; or they are trying to removing parasites or food lodged in there mouths/gills. I find it interesting that so little seems to be known about these creatures.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom