Question Small dents in Aluminum 80 - Can it get condemned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I bought a couple of used Aluminum 80s and I am about to send them for Hydro/VIP. I just noticed one of them has a few tiny dents:

PXL_20220227_230312797.jpg

Is there a chance the tank will be condemned?

If the dent is deeper than 0.06 inches, likely. But from the photo it looks OK.

If the dent is deeper than 0.06 inches, likely. But from the photo it looks OK.
Yeah, but .06 is also very small. I wonder how they measure it. I also noticed some of these tiny dents in one of my other tanks that just passed hydro. So hopefully it is ok.

Yeah, but .06 is also very small. I wonder how they measure it. I also noticed some of these tiny dents in one of my other tanks that just passed hydro. So hopefully it is ok.

Pit gauge is used to estimate the depth of pits on the interior of a cylinder. For those on the exterior I use a caliper.

The tape measure markings are 1/8" or .125". The width of the dent looks to be half that, about .060"
As long as that mark is wider than it is deep, it should pass.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances! It passes hydro or it doesn’t, nothing you can do. No sense stressing over it beforehand.

Looks fine to me though, I’ve dived worse.

The re-tester should be willing to give you his opinion on those defects before performing a full hydro-just ask.

Attached is a document you may find helpful.

Attachments

• luxfer scuba tank inspection.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom