Small compressors...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

w31 repack kit

How do you repack the filter? The filter is in a stainless case that I don’t see how to dissemble?

Please help.

I own a Bauer Capitano 6 SCFM/5CFM, I purchased it used with very low hours and it fills cylinders at a very acceptable rate. I put a Honda 6.5HP Gas engine (came with a 5HP electric motor) and it makes a very portable system. I have less than $2K in it and new systems are typically 3x that. My dive partner has the Alkin unit in the Bahamas and is very happy with it.

My best advise as a dive store operator for the past 12 years plus is, "Go to a good dive shop and buy the air for the weekend." I have two 14 cuft compressors with a storage system and am running two 1503 and two 1803 filters plus repackables to get the grade air I need. It's a lot of maintenance. I know they have the little 3 - 6 cfm compressors. However, I've known three different individuals that had them. It seems the companies are around for awhile, then they are gone. When you need parts you can't get them. Plus the fact no matter what anyone tells you. You will have to maintain it, and work on it in the future. Sit down and figure out how much air you can buy with that 1200.00 to 1600.00 out of your pocket.

Tony "D"

Tony "D":
My best advise as a dive store operator for the past 12 years plus is, "Go to a good dive shop and buy the air for the weekend." I have two 14 cuft compressors with a storage system and am running two 1503 and two 1803 filters plus repackables to get the grade air I need. It's a lot of maintenance. I know they have the little 3 - 6 cfm compressors. However, I've known three different individuals that had them. It seems the companies are around for awhile, then they are gone. When you need parts you can't get them. Plus the fact no matter what anyone tells you. You will have to maintain it, and work on it in the future. Sit down and figure out how much air you can buy with that 1200.00 to 1600.00 out of your pocket.

Tony "D"

The problem I have is that the dive stores I have used have not learned how to fill steel tanks even thou they have been in business for more than 20 years.

It all comes down to convienence I fill my tanks how and when I want and wherever I want. I go to the LDS and there are 5-6 tanks waiting ahead. I have left tanks and had them "lost". As for the MFG going out of business I think Bauer has been around and will be, long after my diving days. The cost is up front only, as I could sell my setup for as much or much more than I have invested in it.

ICUROK:
w31 repack kit

How do you repack the filter? The filter is in a stainless case that I don’t see how to dissemble?

Please help.

I am assuming you have the filter removed from the stainless steel housing. If not first use a long screwdriver between the two bolts on the top of the housing, like a lever, unscrew that cap and the filter assembly is attached to the cap.

Then:

The top and bottom of the case unscrew, probably need channel locks to unscrew.

The top also threads into another cylinder inside the first and this might unscrew as well, as you unscrew top.

I had to call airtex to get a sheet that shows how to repack. It was susposed to be in the refill kit but wasn't. If you don't have it I can create a PDF and email it to you.

PM me if you need it. I also have my filter case apart now and could take some pictures.

Mike

The W31 filter is easy to repack. You simply remove the filter and open both ends to dump the contents out. Clean everything good with mild soapy water, dry off and put the new contents in the order the instructions says with the new felt pads included. Put a small amount of silicone on the threads and O rings to prevent corrosion and sticking. The instuctions are supposed to be in the package but if it is not call us and we will send you a new one.
Also I have had Lawrence Factor make filters for all of our compressors. They generally run about twice as much as the refill kits but are very quick and easy.

To answer one of someones questions here about a company going out of business I can tell you AireTex is here to stay. I have invested huge amounts in inventory, trade shows, advertising and training my dealers. We are not as big as Bauer and we do not have as many models but AireTex is here to stay and support our customers. The models we do have covers 95% of most customers needs. The models we have are high quality and at a better price or value than most all compressors. (In my opinion) There is one brand that is cheaper but it is not nearly the same quality and durability. Junk is junk no matter the cost.
I have personally took care of some things on compressors that was 2 years out of warranty because I felt it was the best thing to do. I have been to Turkey 3 times to help make improvements and design changes giving us the best value and quality possible. I invite anyone who is concerned about AireTex to come by and visit us. We are very close to DFW Airport and we would be glad to show you our shop and compressors and we are not going any where but up.

To answer another question about Dive Shop Air. All portable compressors have a small final purifier and they do not last long. Most portable compressors such as the Bauer and AireTex (ALKIN) have a 3200 Cu. Ft. rated filtration capacity. One popular brand is less than half that size. My next larger filter has a 32,000 Cu. Ft filter but it wieghs over 50 lbs. and is very tall. You simply can not put a 50 lbs filter on a 115 lbs compressor and still be a very portable unit. Plus it is so much heavier you would need to brace the frame different adding more wieght.
Dive shops generally have larger compressors with better filtration, but I will say this not all Dive Shops change the filters and oil as required and perform air quality tests as they should be. Some are obviously better than others and some states now require air tests to be posted. PADI is taking steps to improve the air quality of Dive Shops by teaching and requiring air quality tests.
Grade "E" breathing air is the same from a portable compressor or a Dive Shop compressor, it meets the requirements or it does not. The main difference is the larger filtration gives you more Cubic Feet of air and a better safety margin. Still the filters MUST be changed as required and the water separators must be operating correctly. I hope that answers most of your questions and concerns.
I also apologize to the person who sent me a PM, I do not check here that often and did not respond very quickly as I did not know I had the message. Bruce

"How would a compressor retard (like me) find out enough about compressors to be able to buy one. I will (hopefully) be doing independent instruction by summer. My dad has offered to buy me a compressor before christmas. I don't know where to begin. I'm even at a loss trying to understand all these foreign language threads... :0("

How to buy a compressor? This probably deserves a whole new thread but I will try to answer it here. Well I think one of the best ways is to look on the forums like this one. The people who own them will tell you honestly what they think. If they did not think they got a good value and quality believe me they would tell you.
Things to look for or look out for. **SCFM numbers are genarally about 30-35% optimistic of actual numbers. If Bauer 7.5 Hp and AireTex 7.5 Hp compressor puts out 8 CFM but another brand puts out 11+ **SCFM from a 7.5 Hp motor then do not triust those figures. Ask on one of the forums what the actual is.
Check with their warranty, if they void the warranty for filling multiple tanks and cascade systems then it means it will not last as required. Generally the lower the RPM the quieter and more durable the compressor will be.
Every manufacturor has had warranty issues myself included. Nobody is perfect. The question is how were they resolved? Did the manufacturor fix the problem or did they find a reason to void the warranty because you used your compressor?
I have only voided the warranty on one compressor. The customer ran it 180 hours with out draining the water separator one time! the water separator and purifier were completly full of water and it was squirting out the hose! It ruined the final pistons, crank, rods and was a total mess to clean up. He had it in a Paintball store and did not think it was needed since it was not for breathing air. Still I gave him dealers pricing on all of the parts and a very good deal on the labor costs. He was very happy and promised he would drain the separators from now on.
Ask on the forums who are the good guys to deal with and who is not. You might look on the paintball forums about compressors, those guys are brutal on compressors and they will tell you who the good guys are and are not. Some of my paintball customers run their compressors non stop during tournaments for the whole weekend. Just make sure those people have actually used the compressor and not what they "Heard" from someone else. Do not let price be the only deciding factor, spending $150 more may get you a compressor that will last forever where saving that $150 may get you a compressor that gives up the ghost after 50 tanks. That compressor is worth nothing when it breaks. A good compressor will hold its value and you should get most of your money back if you ever decide to sell. Once again if you start out with junk you end up with junk.
Ask about parts and repairability. Some of the cheaper compressors are just not cost effective to repair when they break and are just "Disposable" compressors. A good compressor will last a lifetime with normal use. A good compressor starts with a good solid design and is easy to repair.
Parts must be readily available. I have all parts in stock but most of my normal wear and tear parts are available from Lawrence Factor also to give my customers other options. That also helps keep our prices reasonable by competition.
Lawrence Factor also makes most parts for Bauer compressors That helps to keep the parts prices down. There is one brand of compressor that is of decent design, quality and purchase price but when you need parts they are outrageously expensive and no other place to get them.
I think the Bauers and the AireTex (ALKIN) are the best two in the business and both have certain advantages and fewest disadvantages over the others. You the customer has to decide what is best for your budget and needs. A personal compressor may not be for everyone but if you are in the market those are the things I would look for. In fact that is what got me in this business. Bruce

ICUROK:
w31 repack kit

Please help.

Here are some pictures of the filter and how it all comes apart.

Hope this helps.

Mike

WVMike:
Here are some pictures of the filter and how it all comes apart.

Hope this helps.

Mike

That helps. I just took the old one appart, now I need to find were I put that rebuild kit.

Thanks for the help.
Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom