SM bottle CAM band clipping prevent tanks from flopping to side, when going sideways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can use your style with cam bands though, should be able to get the carabiners in the loop at the end of the cam buckle where the Armadillo manual describes tying the bungee loop. ?Yours can still travel the distance of the carabiner though so they will go up and down and out a bit, but yours is like 1.5" instead of the 3" minimum with a clip

you can use your style with cam bands though, should be able to get the carabiners in the loop at the end of the cam buckle where the Armadillo manual describes tying the bungee loop. ?Yours can still travel the distance of the carabiner though so they will go up and down and out a bit, but yours is like 1.5" instead of the 3" minimum with a clip

Yes, definitely am able to get carrbiners into a cam band. My problem is that I had several failures with cam bands, so I dumped them. I designed a carrabiner holder out of stainless steel that allows two hose clamps to hold everything in place. Most fill stations think it is pretty cool because it gives them a handle to pick up the tank by. The amount of travel that occurs between the carrabiner and hip attachment point is about 3/4".

I'm going back to hose clamps for my normal bottles, but I'm keeping my cam bands, both 2" and 1.5" for travel and loaner bottles. May go to biners, but not sure about it yet. Which biners are you using Kelly?

I am with you, I hate rails and tank leashes for this purpose. Carrabiners and egg beaters keep your tanks in place close to your body, no matter what orientation you have.

FWIW, I got rid of cam bands years ago. I have had them slip and fail all too often. I use large hose clamps. (think about it, we use it for stages all the time, why not sidemount tanks)

Thanks for the post;
Do you have any pics of this setup so I can get a better visual idea of this?

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2015 at 09:16 PM ----------

This is a drawback of the door handles and why I prefer D rings but I'm sure more Florida guys can chime in. The steps I've used to overcome this is to move the cam band up and tighten the neck bungee so they are unable to move around as much. I've also used bungee on the leash for SMS 75 and 100. I'm curious for other solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard from other SM divers that this is what they have done also, VERY Short leash, and move CAM band into position to be direct to the door handle in rear of the harness.
Question - When you adjust it this way, do you have the problem where the tanks are BUTT up in the rear, due to the connection point being so tight to the door handle in the back plate? or d you shorten and just attach to your belt D-Rings?

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2015 at 09:19 PM ----------

karstdvr -
Do you attach this setup (Carrabiners & egg beaters) to the D-rings at your waist? or to the rear door handles?

seems it would almost have to be put to the waist D-ring vs the rear door handle..

Is this an example of the setup you use?

Attachments

• dscn4488.jpg
    dscn4488.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 108
  • dscn4489.jpg
    dscn4489.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 97
May go to biners, but not sure about it yet. Which biners are you using Kelly?

Use the large stainless steel ones,but the system I use won't function well with the rails/leash method

---------- Post added September 24th, 2015 at 05:23 AM ----------

Is this an example of the setup you use?

Thanks for grabbing these pictures from CDF. Yes this is from my LP80s. On my waist band of the harness is a connection point, which have been called egg beaters,but it is perpendicular to the carrabiners.

karstdvr -
Do you attach this setup (Carrabiners & egg beaters) to the D-rings at your waist? or to the rear door handles?

seems it would almost have to be put to the waist D-ring vs the rear door handle

I don't have a butt plate, so no door handles. The attachment point is right above my hip.

v101, if you're using short leashes, the best way to position them is to measure the length from the bungee to the attachment point, hip, butt plate, etc that it is going to be clipped. Take this measurement and put a mark on the tanks from the center of the valve if using loop bungees, or from the neck if using a one piece bungee. That's where the bottom of the clip should go. The butt height is controlled by the specific cylinder you're using, and the bungee on the neck. If the tank stays negative and the bungee is strong, then it won't ride high in the butt.

Kelly, understood but I removed my buttplate as well and use these for my attachment points. Using butterfly snaps on essentially a 0 leash, but with the bungee routing I'm using and the HP120's, the bungee actually rolls them up into my side. When I go upside-down they do move, but they stay stuck to my hips when sideways.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=31

I'm with karstdvr and the "old school" way of side mounting my tanks, although I still use cam bands and have never had an issue with them.

Back
Top Bottom