Slung Pony, Second on a necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you, or any of the other members posting have any photos of your pony setup?
Cheers.

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours. o_O

B598B75C-C2EB-4150-8E57-B4B07220BA51.jpeg

There is a thread I started in this sub forum myself, dumpsterDiver and tbone where we worked out a good solo diving setup. You may have read it there.

I am a solo diver who sometimes buddy dives. I do not want to be constantly changing my rig for the type of diving. I have a primary 40" hose under my arm on a swivel and a 5th Gen Air2. When I dive deep solo I back mount my pony. The pony tank has a vindicator knob to aid in ensuring the pony is on before splashing, along with a button SPG. I necklace the pony reg and use a yellow mouth piece on the pony regulator.

If you do not want to back mount solo then I suggest doing what @scubadada does or an AIR2 rather than an octo (you're solo, you don't need it) and slinging the pony with the hose and reg secure with inner tube.
Hello. I'm looking forward to reading the thread. Trying to find it now.
Cheers.

I'm a fan of the ball bungies for stowing the second stage on my slung AL19. Makes re-stowing it easy when practicing deploying it.
full

View media item 209936View media item 209937View media item 209938View media item 209703
I’ll show you mine if you show me yours. o_O

View attachment 595487
Firstly, I firmly believe in diving with gear that you are comfortable with. Secondly, I firmly believe in using the appropriate gear for the dive you intend to do.
Disclaimer; The following setup is " My personal preference." The following setup is "Not" endorsed by "Any" agency.
Some of you may disagree, and say "That it is wrong." It is "Right." for me.

I like many.......have been "Solo Diving." for quite awhile. 20 years +
Whether, I am diving single tanks, or doubles, I typically use more than (1) Pony.(Slung.) I consider myself a "Deep" "Wreck" Diver. (Deep being a relative term,) My max depth is 186 fsw (On air.)
I prefer to have my hand wheels facing down,( The valves are off.) and my first stages, and regulators, SPG's in towards my body. Basically for some protection against Bulkheads, Hatchways, Ladder wells,Etc.
Protection....too some degree...from anything. (I can cover them with my hands, or forearms...If, need be.)
I also, like the Second stage on my left to be a left-handed configuration, and the tank have a left-handed valve. I dove "Independent Doubles." for many years, and I'm very comfortable with hoses coming from my left. I am also attaching an image of my BP/W Harness to give a better idea, and visual. (Again, with a hose coming from my left.) My "Second." second stage is worn around my neck with a necklace. I put some arrows on the photos to help with orientation.
All of my Second stages are different, and I have no trouble telling them apart.
In, regard to the O.P. I don't see any real benefit to wearing your pony bottle regulator around your neck......It may take away from, or hinder other benefits such as, handing your bottle off to someone, Etc.
As, far as you taking the course???? I highly recommend it. My suggestion would be to follow your instructors teaching, and words. Using the equipment, and configuration they think is best.
and If, He/She finds you worthy of signing off on. Congratulations!!!!
I actually took the P.A.D.I. Self-Reliant course earlier this year. Quite, frankly....I only took it to get people to "Shut the F@$& up." if you have a plastic card that means "Your Qualified." (Kidding.)
Best of luck to you. Whatever gear you use, and whatever configuration works for you??? Do it safely, and within your limits.
Cheers.
Edit: Always remember. "Left. Lean." "Right Rich."
The M.O.D. sticker was put on to communicate to others....I know, what it is....:wink:

Here is what my pony setup looks like.

This is the reg set I wanted but alas, the din Scribble is AWOL. So I have turned to the chrome crack dealers of SB.

This is the reg set I wanted but alas, the din Scribble is AWOL. So I have turned to the chrome crack dealers of SB.
Nothing beats a Conshelf VI for compact old school chrome.... just saying... I might have an extra!

Nothing beats a Conshelf VI for compact old school chrome.... just saying... I might have an extra!

Ha! But you're too late. I already stopped by the guy "down on the corner." I'll be running a MK10 to a 109. They are marginally too pretty to be tossed about on a pony but I'm going to let them do what they were made to do.

Ha! But you're too late. I already stopped by the guy "down on the corner." I'll be running a MK10 to a 109. They are marginally too pretty to be tossed about on a pony but I'm going to let them do what they were made to do.
Well, if the Mk10/109 ever decides to be a primary for you let me know. Stupid competing dealers! lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom