Sluggish dry suit exhaust valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
My dry suit is in the shop (seam leak :( ) so I have been borrowing one. It's also a Mobby's trilaminate, but a different model, and older. I have noticed that this suit seems MUCH harder to vent than mine, and I've had some significant issues with buoyancy as a result. Yes, the valve is turned all the way open, but even so, I can roll until I can feel the whole arm and shoulder expand and I then still have to reach over and compress the sleeve with my right hand to get the air started exhausting.

My question is whether there is anything I can or should do to improve this, or is this a characteristic of the individual valve? I've thought about soaking the valve in warm water to see if there is some salt encrusting that is impeding air flow. Anybody have experience with this, or any ideas?

I want my own suit back :(

I would take it in and have a tech look at the valve. Sometimes the spring gets worn or crud builds up in the valve. Sometimes where the valve is placed on the suit can have an affect on how well it dumps. I have taken mine off and soaked it in fresh water a few times to disolve the salt build up as well.

TSandM:
My dry suit is in the shop (seam leak :( ) so I have been borrowing one. It's also a Mobby's trilaminate, but a different model, and older. I have noticed that this suit seems MUCH harder to vent than mine, and I've had some significant issues with buoyancy as a result. Yes, the valve is turned all the way open, but even so, I can roll until I can feel the whole arm and shoulder expand and I then still have to reach over and compress the sleeve with my right hand to get the air started exhausting.

My question is whether there is anything I can or should do to improve this, or is this a characteristic of the individual valve? I've thought about soaking the valve in warm water to see if there is some salt encrusting that is impeding air flow. Anybody have experience with this, or any ideas?

Is it a rental suit? The valve is probably all gunked up from not being rinsed. If it were your own valve you could remove it, dismantle it, clean it etc etc but in this case you should just take it back to the shop and get them to do it.

Meanwhile if you need to dive with it you can manually vent the valve by pressing on it.

R..

It's not a rented suit, but a borrowed one, and I still wouldn't take the valve apart since it doesn't belong to me. But I will try soaking it and see if that improves things.

Use water at least as hot as you would shower in. Agitate, rotate and depress it frequently. Don't stop for at least an hour.

Good luck

R..

I've got that suit. I thought it was supposed to work that way . . .

I guess I'll take a look at it. Never gave it much thought.

Terry

TSandM:

What are you wearing underneath the suit? I have a weazle extreme that the light outer shell actually sometimes blocks the air vents in the valve. I have started wearing a sock with the toe cut out on my left arm to allow proper suit ventilation.

Aha . . . I've been borrowing a Weezle, too. Hadn't even considered that it might be impeding the outflow. I've given up on it, anyway . . . can't manage the buoyancy issues of the garment compounded with the slow exhaust from the suit.

TSandM:
Aha . . . I've been borrowing a Weezle, too. Hadn't even considered that it might be impeding the outflow. I've given up on it, anyway . . . can't manage the buoyancy issues of the garment compounded with the slow exhaust from the suit.

I know several divers who use Weezles and have that problem. They typically put a strip of elastic or velcro on the arm of the undergarment where the valve is to prevent it from interfering with the valve.

Brian

Another little hint with the older model Si Tech valves is to let it sit in a bowl of vinegar for awhile then soak it in a bowl of hot water with a touch of Ivory soap. Don't ask why, but Ivory soap is a drysuit owners dream. It is the best thing to wash your suit with and it is also what we use to test all of our suits before they are sent out. No other soap or solution works as good as Ivory. Just make sure you rinse the valve out thoroughly. Maybe even take your air tank and blow out the valve after wards. This should free up any seaweed or sand gunk in the valve. NEVER disassemble a valve! Si Tech has a pretty good warranty and it doesn't hurt to ask your LDS about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom