SLR lenses help plz!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aboalreem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just ordered the Nikon D200. What lenses should I buy? I am planning to take photos underwater and above...any advice would be great...

I second the above suggestion. If you want some versatility, you can swap the 10.5 fisheye for the 12-24mm (a great lens imho).

Good suggestion lundysd. If funds are unlimited, get 'em both. The 12-24mm is a great lens, and since it is corrected and the 10.5mm is fisheye, they both have their separate places.

I wish i had the funds to pick up the 12-24 and the 10.5 :)

If you're not troubled to have a lens that you use out of the water only, the 18-200 is the best all around lens I have now. Fast, sharp, versatile.
I would start with a 12-24 before a 10.5. The 10.5 is a little daunting at first because of it's extreme angle. The 12-24 might be a better learning lens.

_Bella_:
If you're not troubled to have a lens that you use out of the water only, the 18-200 is the best all around lens I have now. Fast, sharp, versatile.

Nice to hear, I just ordered that lens last week and it was above my budget. I have still got a long way to go with my Canon s50 before I think of housing the DSLR..

Alison

What is the main difference in taking pictures UW between 12-24mm and 10.5mm?
what is better to invest in?

I have the Sigma 17-70 that I'm using UW. I love it. It does cool wide angle, and macro, and things in between. People told me I was crazy to get that lens, but it's worked great for me on the few dives I used it on.

If you need one lens for land and sea to start with I would also suggest the 17-55mm. Some of the lenses you have to decide what interests you more Macro or WA? Do you dive in an area with +30ft viz or less and of course what housing you are going to choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom