Slow leak from Scubapro Mk5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shorty esquire

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a Scubapro Mk5 that's developed a slow leak. The leak is occurring through the centre of plate at the bottom of the reg, I.e the opposite side from the swivel with the LP ports. The leak is slow enough that it doesn't noticeably bleed pressure but I can definitely hear and feel it with my finger over the leak.

The reg was serviced before I bought the reg and I've dived three times with it before I noticed the leak before my second dive today. I was running double tanks with separate regs so dived with it despite the leak. I came up with 70 bar and the reg was no longer leaking, and my buddy didn't report that I left a trail of bubbles.

I've dropped the reg in for service but I'm ordering all the bits and pieces I will need to service them myself, so would like to know what the potential problem could be.

Cheers,

There's a (purple) o ring in the body under the seat carrier that can cause this leak if it gets worn (flattened or left out entirely).

I wonder why so many problems develop after "service"? :)

If you want to DIY, the causes of the leak could be, by order of likeliness:
  1. HP seat o-ring, item #4 in couv's annotated schematic. It's an annual replacement item, so the likelihood of a tech messing it up is high. it's a 2-013, Duro 90 preferred, but a Duro 70 will survive because it's a face seal.
  2. Cap o-ring, item #2, 2-015,
  3. Messed-up HP seat, item #3
  4. Cracked body (extremely unlikely)

I have the service manual, it's yours if you provide an email address that takes a few MB of attachment.

The newer kits use a red washer in place of the purple o-ring. I suspect it is somewhat less sensitive to the tech using proper seating techniques when installing that o-ring. The washer could be defective, but more likely not seating properly. There are no foolproof solutions given sufficiently talented fools.

get it in for service ASAP. Having had my Scuba Pro fail at 130ft on the second dive, I lost all confidence in the brand.

Why would you lose all confidence in a brand due to one failure? Do you understand the design and function of your regulator? What was the cause of the failure?

Why would you lose all confidence in a brand due to one failure? Do you understand the design and function of your regulator? What was the cause of the failure?

Well according to his past posts he is a regulator technician. Perhaps his lack of confidence is due to his current employer not being a Scubapro dealer.

Back
Top Bottom