Slippery Slope - Doing my own ScubaPro Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started tearing apart my second Mk10... This one was a little more stuck together from torque and corrosion.. IP before teardown was 120, but I wanted to baseline it (bought it used for my Ex-Wife to dive with my son). Lot better condition inside than the 1st one I did, but this one is missing the shim that goes under the bolt for the swivel. As with the first one, the seat didn't want to come out with 30 seconds of fiddling, so I skipped GO, and threw it straight in the freezer - 10 minutes later, it fell out easily.

So, setting this unit aside, until the rebuild kits arrive.

Piston on my 2nd Mk10 - much nicer condition than the first one.
scubapro_mk10_2_teardown_piston.jpg

Parts ready for their swim in water and vinegar
scubapro_mk10_2_parts_precleaning.jpg

Chilling out works wonders
scubapro_mk10_2_seat_in_freezer.jpg

The 2nd Mk10 went back together, and ended up with an IP of around 127.

Did my first Mk5 today (hate to admit it, I didn't look at it too close, and because of the plastic yoke spacer, I assumed it was a mk10 - noted that it wasn't the second I got the yoke off) ... Fairly straight forward after having done the two Mk 10s.

This unit was PACKED with silicone ... Made cleaning a little more time consuming (soap, running hot water, etc.), then vinegar bath, followed by a soap/water cleanup. Went back together smoothly, and ended up with an IP of 125.

Before
scubapro_mk5_1_assembled.jpg

Stripped down
scubapro_mk5_1_parts.jpg

Piston
scubapro_mk5_1_PistonHead.jpg

Rebuilt
scubapro_mk5_1_rebuilt.jpg

Parts came in for the G250, so I went ahead and put her back together.. It now has one of the European single ring S-Wing poppets from Vintage Double Hose (to replace the Blue Rivet style it had before). Sink testing it, has it free flowing when you clear the vertical cover/diaphragm case surface (i.e. the case area past the cover).

scubapro_G250_internals.jpg

scubapro_G250_barrel_reinstalled.jpg

scubapro_mk_g250_postrebuild.jpg

My rebuilds to date

scubapro_regulator_rebuilds_0918.jpg

Bought a MK10+/D350 combo (plus a Dacor Pacer XL for parts) on eBay.. the D350 is to be a spare for my sons rig. Anyway I took the Mk10+ apart, and with the exception of the piston and yoke knob, I don't note any difference - it seems to be missing the bushing, which would be associated with a Mk10+, and the seat looks like a standard Mk10.. Any ideas of what is going on here?

scubapro_mk10_plus_asReceived.jpg

scubapro_mk10_plus_maybe.jpg

Any ideas of what is going on here?
Two ideas come to mind.
1. If that is a sharp piston, and standard seat retainer (shiny chrome rather than matte) then someone has done a smart thing and downgraded it to a standard MK10 from a Plus.

2. More likely: Someone put a MK10 Plus yoke screw on a standard MK10

Either way, you'll have less issues with it than if it were a Plus model.

I finally started logging my regulator and gauge repairs because at some point I couldn't remember which I'd worked on, and when, and sometimes what. The old O-ring on the MK10 would be a good example of why I keep track of how old the O-rings are :wink:

Two ideas come to mind.
1. If that is a sharp piston, and standard seat retainer (shiny chrome rather than matte) then someone has done a smart thing and downgraded it to a standard MK10 from a Plus.

2. More likely: Someone put a MK10 Plus yoke screw on a standard MK10

Either way, you'll have less issues with it than if it were a Plus model.

Thank you.

The Piston does have a knife edge, but what throws me is the groove around the beefy area of the piston shaft, which seems to match the Mk10 Plus diagrams and is different than my other Mk10s... The seat retainer is shiny chrome.. So I guess at this point I will get a Mk10 kit for it, and dig a spare MK10 yoke screw that I have, and replace this one, so there is no future misidentification (and put away the MK10+ parts kit that I bought for a future adventure).

JamesBon - in the future I might create a log, but that is also sort of what this thread is for (Have done the same thing for my boat thread, over at ClassicMako.com - and I often refer back to it to remember what I did and when).

Watch out it's an addictive hobby... my used o-ring bin :D

O-ring bin.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom