Slippery Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptTrips

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am on my first pair of fins - ScubaPro Twin Jet Max. Happy with them so far except on my first boat dive I could barely stand on the dive platform. No problems on pool or boat decks, but the dive platform was like stepping out on ice. Any advice for breaking them in without destroy them. Thanks

i haven't had that problem

it may be that platform is made of a particular material that is a problem

i would say follow the old advice: one hand for the boat, one for yourself

Rather than break them in, how about waiting until you're in the water before putting them on and removing them before you climb back on the boat? Then you won't have to stand or walk in them and won't have to worry about slipping and falling. Jump in fuilly inflated, make a figure four with your leg, keep the straps loose enough to snuggly fit two fingers between your tendon and strap and it should be very easy to doff and don...like 4 -5 seconds per fin max. This is how I've done it for years. Your straps last longer too!

yea sure that may work in Hawaii when there is no current, surge, or wave action. Try diving in North Carolina, they won't even let you on the rail without your fins already on, cause if you go over the current and waves could easily leave you a long way from the boat before you realize what happened.

the OP, climbing a ladder and walking on dive platforms with fins on can be tough, but mostly it requires practice and patients, time your movements with the waves and take small steps with a firm grip you should be ok. take a good look at the dive platform, sounds like it could use some more non-slip on it, which should help some, mentioning it to the operator is probably enough, afterall he wants you business and if you feel your safety is threatened he is probably more than happy to spend $10 on some non-slip pads for the platform if it means you return to his shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom