Slingshot Fins for a newbie? (female)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasKaren68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to take Scuba lessons starting next month so I wanted to get myself a mask, snorkel and fins as a Christmas present to myself.

The guy at the dive shop showed me several fins and I settled on the Aqualung Slingshot but now I'm having second thoughts and am considering returning them tomorrow and exchanging them for a different kind. For which kind? I don't know. The instructor also seemed to like the Seawing Nova's - I guess I found them a bit "funny looking" but now after reading some comments, maybe they would have been a better choice?

The thing is, the Slingshot fins just seem so HUGE and heavy and I'm a not very strong, 5'5" girl who to date has only used full foot, el-cheapo fins that they give you when you go snorkeling on a cruise ship excursion.

I'm not sure if different fins are needed for scuba vs. snorkeling and why.

I do know I don't want a full foot fin because to me, they are hard to get off while being slammed against a boat ladder in high winds.

Are there any women out there using the Slingshots? Are they OK for women? I'm a bit afraid of my legs getting tired with such large fins.

One thing I do know is that I want to pay for fins that I will be able to use for the next 20 years and I am a believer that you get what you pay for. I don't want to spend $40 on a set of fins that will need to be replaced in two years if I can spend $200 on fins that will last forever.

Don't worry about the fin purchase because soon you'll discover that every-time you buy a piece of dive equipment you'll soon want another... its kinda like crack.

Novas are awesome for speed and flutter kicks, but not so good with frog kicks. The old school rubber type are awesome at frog kicks, flutters, helicopter turns but are hard on your ankles. The slingshots you got are probably a good mix depending on how you adjust them.

No matter what you get they will not be as awesome as these force fins so dont worry about the $200 as that may have been the cheapest equipment purchase you will make in your new hobby :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom