slinging a pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbediving

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
im sure this has been covered somewhere but there are just too many posts to sort through. i just bought a dive rite stage harness. i put it on my tank (al 30) and tried it on with my backplate and it looks like when i swim horizontally that it will hang down pretty far and create drag and a possibe entanglement. does anyone know what i mean? will it be a problem in the water or am i just overanalizing it because im jonesing to get in the water.

your're just jonesing...it should be fine once in the water.

The Tank will make a difference too.
My Catalina 40 just hangs.
My Luxfer 40 rides butt end up.
I plan on replacing my Catalina with another Luxfer!!

idratherbediving:
im sure this has been covered somewhere but there are just too many posts to sort through. i just bought a dive rite stage harness. i put it on my tank (al 30) and tried it on with my backplate and it looks like when i swim horizontally that it will hang down pretty far and create drag and a possibe entanglement. does anyone know what i mean? will it be a problem in the water or am i just overanalizing it because im jonesing to get in the water.

I use a 30cf alum and an 80cf alum deco bottle with the Dive Rite stage harnesses. There will not be a drag or entanglement problem with the hang. It will be right there and easily accessible for you.

--Matt

I did this for a while, practicing for deco and etc.

The valve end of the luxfer tank will hang down a bit. I would tuck it up with my left arm in tight quarters.

Slung tanks make for bad hydrodynamics. I can tell the difference while swimming and etc. especially in a current.

Peter

I've got both a 30 and a 40 deco bottle that I sling with no troubles, even when carrying both on the same side. Both are Luxfer bottles and when in the water they hang butt up. Just watch the valve and first stage when squeezing through tight spaces.

idratherbediving:
There are better ways to stage a bottle, but if your going to use a dive rite stage strap you can adjust the harness D rings(higher on the shoulder and back on the waiste) to help bring the tank into the body. also you can slipknot the top to the tank to bring the tank and the snap closer together, this will bring the tank closer to the body .

Padipro:
I've got both a 30 and a 40 deco bottle that I sling with no troubles, even when carrying both on the same side. Both are Luxfer bottles and when in the water they hang butt up. Just watch the valve and first stage when squeezing through tight spaces.
I agree with Padipro on this. The proper placement of the chest d-ring will go a long way to making sure the valve end of the tank hangs properly. Also, the length of the bolt snap makes a difference too. I went to a larger clip on one of my deco bottles to facilitate removing the bottle in cold/rough conditions. The problem is, it made the tank hang too low in the front. So I moved the d-ring up on my chest a little. Now it is hard to reach with my drysuit on. So I moved the d-ring back where it belongs(arms out parallel to the ground, bend the elbows with the fingers pointing back across the chest, palms to the floor. The thumb will point to the proper placement of the chest d-ring), and I'm replacing the top snap bolt with the next small size. This should fix the problem. As for the hip d-ring placement, it should be centered on your side between your belly and back. The butt of the tank will float a little, and the snap bolt will keep it from going vertical. (Luxfer AL 40's)

As for tight spaces, you'll have to do as Padipro mentioned. I have several dings on my SPG's from not paying attention to this. You wouldn't want to damage the 1st or 2nd stage either.

By the feedback..It sure seems that Luxfer tanks are a better choice than Catalina tanks for deco tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom