Sliding D-rings For Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyronGanes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Where can I purchase these online? I can't seem to find a vendor. I dive with Al80's for sidemount and their trim is terrible. Thanks

Where can I purchase these online? I can't seem to find a vendor. I dive with Al80's for sidemount and their trim is terrible. Thanks

Alternatively use two sets of drings, a set closer to the front of your waist strap, and a second set further towards your spine. Use the "rear" set when the bottles are full and negative and the front set when they go positive.

All you need is a pair of drings and keepers. Some prefer low profile drings for this purpose.

Tobin

Trimming AL cylinders should be covered on any half-decent sidemount course.

The simplest way is (as Tobin says) to use front/rear D-rings on the waist belt. You only need to shift cylinder attachment position once, when they shift from negative to positive buoyancy. The exact positioning of the D-rings is determined by a number of factors personal to your set-up and body dimensions; bungee method, length of cord/snap for the lower tank attachment, waist size etc

Sliding D-rings are a more complex way of achieving the same ends. Some divers feel the need for them, many don't.

Andrew Goring at SumpUK makes some very nice custom sidemount hardware, including sliding D-rings. You can order via his FB page. SUMPUK Custom Sidemount Hardware

Use the fixed set of conventional D-rings & keepers for rear waistbelt placement to clip your full AL80's to. When the tanks get floaty, instead of using sliding metal D-rings, just clip them off to a set of large "free sliding O-rings" placed to the front of the waistbelt.

For standard two-inch harness waistbelt webbing, use the -323 size in this O-ring chart.

Buna O-rings # 323-90D Price for 25 pcs

I also use one to clip off my SPG on my regular backmount Hogarthian BP/Wing, and leave the metal fixed Hip D-ring dedicated to clipping off deco & stage cylinders. . .

Last edited:
If you want the Apeks sliding D-Rings like on the WSX Sidemount Harness an AquaLung dealer should be able to order part 388708. I believe list price is around $50 for the pair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom