Sleeping pills....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I occasionally take Ambian, but would never take it the night before I am diving. The FDA recently updated its warnings about Ambian and next-day impairment, especially after taking Ambian CR. Ambian causes "severe deficits in psychomotor performance and cognitive ability." Researchers have found that Ambian does not leave the body as quickly as previously thought -- this is even more so with women.

On dive trips, I am usually so tired that I fall asleep around 9 PM anyway!

STAY AWAY FROM AMBIEN. Just Google people's experiences with it. I literally blacked out crashed my car into my apartment all while asleep. Woke up next morning to cops knocking on my door. After a thorough medical evaluation and investigation the charges were dropped. When I need to sleep these days I take benadryl which also has the pleasant side effect of clearing out my nostrils.

STAY AWAY FROM AMBIEN IT'S JUST A MATTER OF TIME...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I occasionally take Ambian, but would never take it the night before I am diving. The FDA recently updated its warnings about Ambian and next-day impairment, especially after taking Ambian CR. Ambian causes "severe deficits in psychomotor performance and cognitive ability." Researchers have found that Ambian does not leave the body as quickly as previously thought -- this is even more so with women.

On dive trips, I am usually so tired that I fall asleep around 9 PM anyway!

It seems from my research that Zopiclone is from a similar drug family as Ambien and it too cites problems with motor functions the following day! I can't say that I have ever felt impaired in any way the day after a tablet, and being Scottish, I have had my fair share of impairment :) BUT erring on the side of caution seems to be screaming from my reptilian brain. Methinks I will just go it alone and if I get exhausted, I can always take photos from the boat and sunbathe......with a beer for a different kind of impairment :p

Will let you all know what DAN says.......

Imovane (Zopliclone) is similar to ambien. In Canada Ambien (zoplidem) is marketed as Sublinox.

I would not recommend either before diving as they could increase the risk of narcosis, mental confusion, or motor dysfunction. Not really good to have if you are diving. Especially if you are in a new environment.

There is little evidence melatonin helps for insomnia. For Jet lag is does help.

Having said that taking Zopliclone for the plane/travel days and then having a regular sleep hygiene routine once you are there may be okay.

I also have acute insomnia and take ambien. I can tell you that it does affect the way I do deeper dives and from expierance increase the narcosis levels. I have had better dives staying up all hours of the night before than taking the ambien and diving. One of the worst experiences I had was when I was doing a body recovery at 4 am at taking the ambien at around 11 a few hours before, I can't remember the dive!

Prescription sleep meds can affect your judgment and reaction time. They are also synergistic with nitrogen and can increase its narcotic effect as has already been pointed out. Our advice is to not dive while they're in your system.

Best regards,
DDM

This is a great thread. I occasionally suffer sleeplessness (particularly the first few days in new places) and it happened again the first night I was on the Brac. Usually I take 50 mg of Benedryl (recommended by my Doc as prescription sleep aids made me feel like crap the next day), but I was concerned that it might impact my diving.

DDM, would you consider Benedryl to be in the same 'league' as a prescription sleep med?

I have had good results lately with Melatonin. My daughter recommended I try it during a recent life stress where I wasn't sleeping. Never taken anything before and Jack Daniels wasn't working, so I tried it. It was very effective, but I haven't dove the next day, either.

May not work for a chronic issue, but I was having a terrible time and it worked well. I have a cup or two of Chamomile and take the Melatonin. I fall asleep and am just slightly foggy but it shakes right off.

I usually like to try and find the 'gentler' approach first. It would be interesting to hear others experience with diving after...

Here is my reply from DAN.....

Thank you for emailing DAN Medical Services and for your membership support.The biggest note with these types of medications is how you feel and function the next day. Be aware of any side effects you may have such as forgetfulness, slower reactions or fatigue. You mention you do not feel tired in the morning and that is true of many people. Some however can have a hangover type of feeling or feel sluggish. You will need to decide the morning of the dive how you feel and whether you feel mentally sharp and prepared for your dive. The earlier you take the medication and go to bed the better chances of it being completely worn off by morning.Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.Safe diving.

---------- Post added January 21st, 2014 at 06:02 PM ----------

Thank you everyone for your comments, and for DDM's input. I think I will just see how it goes without the use of meds, I only have four x 2 tank mornings of no deeper than 60ft warm water diving so if I am not sleeping, I can probably have a nap in the afternoon. Safety first eh?

Just going to have the bottle of Rum per night instead :beer:

Back
Top Bottom