Sleeping pills....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeldah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So here is my question......

I occasionally suffer from acute insomnia and over the last few months I have started using sleeping pills when I get to the exhausted stage and have not slept properly for 3 or 4 days. Sometimes I can go a few weeks and be fine but I find it worse when I go away so what is the best idea.....

Use the sleeping pills to be well rested for diving?

Avoid pills and be potentially pretty tired, at least by day three?

Yes they are prescribed by my Dr. (Who I will be asking also)
Yes I have tried Yoga
No, staying home is not an option :wink:

Just wanted some feedback from anyone in the know about this........I can take ZzzzQuil but they don't always work. I am only doing 2 x a.m. dives for 4 days and one night dive so will not be too physically exhausting, also in warm Cayman waters!

Thanks people

My best advice is to get medical advice from a doctor, not the Internet as you have mentioned you're doing.

That said, Ambien is used by some divers I know on trips, and on the flights to get to the destination, etc. Use your best judgment every morning based on how you feel. If you're too tired, skip a day of diving.

check with your doctor -- and it depends on the cause of the insomnia - i've used the zzquil myself - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't - depends on what's causing it for me at the time.

avoid the pills & the zquil --- try Kraken Rum in moderation.

I use Ambien for insomnia. Don't know how much it played into it, but the most narced I've ever been was a morning deep dive after taking it. It takes a while to clear your system and I will avoid it if I'm going to be diving deep the next day.

You might consider taking melatonin, a natural compound that your body produces nightly to make you sleep. You just supplement it by taking more of the same. No crazy dreams, sleep walking/driving, or hangover. Flight crews use it to sleep since, who would have guessed, they get jet lagged. Any big drug store chain or natural foods store has it.

Thanks divers, all of your comments make good sense! Best idea Akimbo, is to definitely contact DAN and since I am a member........I should have thought of that :) HighDesert, I will be trying your remedy over the next two weeks!

I am on Zopiclone, not Ambien but don't feel as groggy taking that as I do with the supposedly non habit forming zzzquil. Will check with my GP but as she is not a diver, she may not be able to help........call DAN!

Thanks

you say you've tried yoga, but have you tried yoga nidra? (basically guided relaxation) You can even find all sort of apps for this free or a couple bucks and they can be quite effective, just have to find what suits you. "Deep Sleep with Andrew Johnson" might be one to try.

Of course as others have said, check with a Dr. &/or DAN, etc. I take a prescription pill if I have to get up early. Being retired, I normally watch late night TV and sleep 'til between 10 & 11 A.M. Hmmm... I have to get up at 6-7 A.M like normal people tomorrow because we have to travel 500 miles, or I am going on my one or 2 dive charters each year, or I have a class to DM. With the pill, I am able to get 5, maybe 6 hrs. sleep and function fine next day. EVERYONE is different with sleep. If I know there is a time I HAVE to get up, I obsess. When I don't AVERAGE 8 full hours of sleep over 2 or more days it affects me greatly. There are too many philosophers in this world that know how much sleep every person needs. I never take the pill unless I have to get up early and alter my routine. At times I have gone weeks without a pill and sleep fine getting 8 hours (or more). Before getting these pills I was a wreck after one night of 4 hrs. sleep--since then I'm fine. But that's me. Not at all medical advice for anyone else.

I suffer a similar issue and usually start climbing up the walls when I holiday mid project as I can't do anything and am cut off from work. If someone suggested meditation (which I regularly do) for insomnia they'd end up going in the pool!

Have you used the drug yet? Perhaps take a dose and get woken up ~6hrs later to see how you feel and how alert you are. Download some logic games and do a quick comparison 30min after waking up without coffee. I take temazepam which is quite light on the scale which works for me. I wake up min 6hours chipper, anything less than that and I can feel sluggish still.

Back
Top Bottom