Skirting the Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must admit I didn't do my full deco after my last 45 minute dive at 6 feet. Fortunately my superior vascularity allowed me to get away with it. The chlorine increases the bubbling effect and the microbubbles are able to go from venous to arterial. I got extremely lucky. I don't recommend that to any other diver.

Always do your deco kids....

PerroneFord:
It's about a guy who went over his planned time by a minute and his planned depth by 2 indicated feet...

To verify - the way I was taught is that safety stops don't count in bottom time, so I was under my planned time by 2 minutes, not over by 1.

Thanks for all the posts everyone (even the 'harsh' criticisms) - in case I didn't make it already clear, I won't be making the same kind of mistake again. At least I learned a lesson without having to really pay for it (except for maybe some pride on SB) :sorry19z:

Take care everyone - happy diving!

The way the rest of us learned is that safety stops don't count either, but some here are counting RUN time apparently which is total time underwater. The problem with the whole bottom time versus deco time comes as you dive deeper. If you do a dive to 150ft and your first stop is at 70ft, do you count the time at 70ft as bottom time? I count it as deco time, and I count it in run time, but not bottom time.

You'll make plenty more mistakes when you dive. We all do. If this is the worst mistake you ever make, then consider yourself fortunate.

Be safe my friend.

PerroneFord:
The way the rest of us learned is that safety stops don't count either, but some here are counting RUN time apparently which is total time underwater. The problem with the whole bottom time versus deco time comes as you dive deeper. If you do a dive to 150ft and your first stop is at 70ft, do you count the time at 70ft as bottom time? I count it as deco time, and I count it in run time, but not bottom time.

You'll make plenty more mistakes when you dive. We all do. If this is the worst mistake you ever make, then consider yourself fortunate.

Be safe my friend.

No one counts it as bottom time. If you are doing a multilevel dive and your second level is at 70 fsw then of course that's still part of bottom time. Some programs define bottom time as descent up until the time you begin your ascent and some (I believe) define it up until the point of your first deco stop.

PerronFord I see that you joined the board in May of this year and you already have 554 posts covering many subjects. There's nothing wrong with that of course but I'd be interested to know a little about your own dive experience if you should choose to share that.

I carry a wheel in my thigh pocket.

If I screw up my profile on a dive, I whip out my wheel and recaluculate my limits.

Simple as that.

I'm going to toss myself in here and say I agree with Don.

What he did was a violation of the tables and he did it with zreo knowledge of what he was doing and basically figured it wouldn't hurt to bend the tables a little bit... and this was on a repetetive dive.

Diving and decompression aren't places to just start making stuff up and figuring you're close enough that it's OK.

Oh, BTW, my tables all clearly state that bottom time ends when I begin my DIRECT ASCENT to the surface, and if I make any stops (say, 5 minutes at 30') that is to be considered bottom time.

jonnythan:
Oh, BTW, my tables all clearly state that bottom time ends when I begin my DIRECT ASCENT to the surface, and if I make any stops (say, 5 minutes at 30') that is to be considered bottom time.
Different tables, different rules...

Bubba identified in his original post that he was using NAUI tables. Several threads have questioned how he (and others) count nitrogen time underwater. Different agencies use different tables with different conventions and definitions. None of these definitions are relevant to this member's question. The convention for counting time on NAUI tables is that the clock starts at descent, and ends when you reach the safety stop. Time spent at the SS is considered "neutral."

(Brief aside: NAUI doesn't actually use the term "Bottom time"...)

PerroneFord:

Tables like PADI, NAUI, etc don't do stops at 70 fsw. For them, that would be a multi-level dive, since you would still be on-gassing into slower compartments which would affect your final pressure group and would affect repetetive diving calculations.

I also thought the first stop from 150 fsw was 80% of max depth or 80% of ATAs which is around 100-120 fsw?

PerroneFord:
This is a guy who KNEW he messed up, and came here to solicit advice and counseling.
Actually, the last word I saw was that he thinks the dive was safe.
PerroneFord:
Telling he's more than likely taken a hit, and is "in denial" is a bit harsh in my opinion.
Please point out were I said "he's more than likely taken a hit".
PerroneFord:
You and I both know that if he had been on a computer for this dive it would have indicated nothing wrong.
I know no such thing. I have zero confidence in the accuracy of the information about the first dive.
PerroneFord:
And yes, 10 dives is very early to be playing put-n-take with nitrogen loading.
Is your point that it was okay this time?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom