Skirting the Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianstclair:
And at some point, like Seinfeld and Cheers, it will come to an end, leaving a gaping hole in my evenings... Although right now it's more like the Simpsons - it's been on as long as I can remember, I usually only catch the reruns, and every now and then I'm happily surprised to find on a Sunday night that they're still crankin' 'em out... :D

need... coke... alert...

Twist

Speaking to the non-planned deco folk:

How many of you take your tables with you when you dive? I know people tend to fill up their BC pockets with all manner of "thigns", but I am wondering how many actually take the plastic card with them? This includes the original poster.

In planned deco, it is fairly common practice to take the custom tables with you with a couple of contingency plans based on underwater issues. I have never seen a recreational diver take tables (I do) but I am wondering if this is being discussed in the certification classes these days. It would seem prudent given how much emphasis there seems to be on following them, and most people won't remember their tables underwater, particularly under stress.

PerroneFord:
Twist

How many of you take your tables with you when you dive? I know people tend to fill up their BC pockets with all manner of "thigns", but I am wondering how many actually take the plastic card with them? This includes the original poster.
I have the NAUI nitrox tables (32% and 36%), EAD wheel and Navy tables in my pocket on all dives. I also wear a computer.

Joe

PerroneFord:
Twist

In planned deco, it is fairly common practice to take the custom tables with you with a couple of contingency plans based on underwater issues. I have never seen a recreational diver take tables (I do) but I am wondering if this is being discussed in the certification classes these days. It would seem prudent given how much emphasis there seems to be on following them, and most people won't remember their tables underwater, particularly under stress.

I do take the tables with me. They're small enough -at least after I cut a 1/4 in off one side - to fit in the pocket in my harness, and I could need them. I also write the AMDTs for a few depths on my slate, so I can refer to that instead of using the tables to figure it out. So on this dive I had the plan and the intentions to follow it... I just didn't - oops.

The certification class I took actually said nothing about taking the tables ON the dive. It merely went over how to use them. In defense of the class though, it did advocate using the dive planner on the back of the card, which has a handy place to put the AMDTs for a few depths on it. So, in that sense they might be advocating that you take them with you.

Of the few folks I've dived with, no one has yet taken their tables (to my knowledge - maybe because they were all using computers). I'll look again this weekend - I managed to find a dive shop that is hosting an underwater pumpkin carving contest at a local quarry. I'll post some pictures later if there are any good ones.

I don't take tables, but I've been closely planning my multilevel dives and sticking to the plan from memory. I'm starting to write down the plan on some Wetnotes, along with a contingency plan.

With all the discussion of the benefits of learning decompression theory, I am now truly interested in the idea.

Can anyone recommend a book or reliable website that would be a good place to begin the climb to knowledge?

PerroneFord:
In planned deco, it is fairly common practice to take the custom tables with you with a couple of contingency plans based on underwater issues. I have never seen a recreational diver take tables (I do) ...

Really? where do you put them? Why do you need them? :)

I'm not sure where I'd ever need a table while in the water, since I don't go into "unplanned-deco", just like I don't "run out" of air.

If my computer craps out, the dive is over and I surface. No big deal, since I wasn't in deco to begin with.

Terry

PerroneFord:
Twist

Back
Top Bottom