Skipping open circuit and going straight to CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
T

takez0

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first post here. I've learned a ton on this board and I'm grateful for the insights you all provide.

I'm getting into technical diving and I'd like to jump straight into a CCR. Does the group see any benefit or hindrance in skipping open circuit tech training costs and equipment costs and going straight into a CCR? CCR's are obviously an investment. I'd rather not spend money on a new BCD, manifold, tanks, etc., that would only be used specifically for dual-tank open circuit, considering I know where I want to end up already. Let me know your thoughts or if you think this is missed training opportunity.

The ARO makes me think of

I really enjoyed the following article which sort of builds the progression from oxygen rebreather to SCR to mCCR and eCCR, complete with schematics

It's much less than that.

10m/33ft is 2ATA. At 100% that's a PPO2 of 2.0; way above the amount you should be breathing.

The NOAA level for PPO2 of 1.6, i.e. 6m/20ft, is 45mins for a single exposure and 150mins/2h30 total in 24h.
Is it though?

Is it though?
It is, but I can't find the reference. CNS and POT are logarithmic for PPO2 and very rapidly decline above PPO2 of 1.6, which is why 1.6 was chosen.

Ah. Some people use oxygen at 6m/20ft/1.6ATA... And they must take oxygen breaks. Why?

It is, but I can't find the reference. CNS and POT are logarithmic for PPO2 and very rapidly decline above PPO2 of 1.6, which is why 1.6 was chosen.

Ah. Some people use oxygen at 6m/20ft/1.6ATA... And they must take oxygen breaks. Why?
Often you get dives with CNS well over 100%. Not a problem.
The breaks are just breaks for your lungs...

Often you get dives with CNS well over 100%. Not a problem.
The breaks are just breaks for your lungs...
Yes, absolutely.

However, this is ignoring the received wisdom to keep CNS and POT levels down.

Dunno about you, but POT -- Pulmonary Oxygen Toxicity -- really screws my lungs up with that tight breathless feeling. It's like smoking a pack of cigarettes.

If it's an oxygen rebreather, no need for cells, computers, monitoring, even diluent isn't required so when the loop volume drops, you just inject oxygen.

The 6m/20ft limitation makes it utterly pointless. Except maybe as a decompression rebreather?!?
Max depth for an oxygen rebreather was set to 18m when I was trained using them in my first OW course, but reaching this depth was beyond my training, I was certified for 10m max.
Going deeper than 10m requires incomplete loop flushing, a tricky and dangerous technique, which at the time was already considered "advanced"...

If it's an oxygen rebreather, no need for cells, computers, monitoring, even diluent isn't required so when the loop volume drops, you just inject oxygen.

The 6m/20ft limitation makes it utterly pointless. Except maybe as a decompression rebreather?!?

Pretty simple dude rather than just speaking you could open the link and immediately
there are the anwers

"The 'Rebreather Day 1' (RD1) 'kit' provides open-architecture components to allow a very easy build-out for those already RB-savvy.

Our recommendation is to first configure the unit as a simple oxygen only system which is depth limited to 20 feet/6 meters depth. Once proficiency is attained, the open architecture allows for easy customization to SCR, CCR, and other integrated systems."

It's called learning in order for you to be informed so you can come on here and impart knowledge instead of being utterly pointless

So as you have suggested, rather than being the one that for whatever reason comes on here and
always says that rebreathers is hard

Give people their due, where they may be able to learn and take to it more competently than you

(I'm definitely very average!)

On O2 you can learn your unit intimately add some dill when ready makes for a more rounded diver

Diving on O2 in 6m ish is a wonderous experience unto itself

There is more than one diver as there is more diving than one diver does

However, it's lovely to see that someone's got the bits required to DIY your own CCR.

Once again with this attitude you show complete disrespect to those from whence your unit was born

The idea for the rEvo was hatched diving a modified aluminium cased surplus USSR military rebreather

photo_14.jpg

Absolutely nothing to a rebreather just a collection of pipes and stuff screwed together

Just add aptitude

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom