Skipping open circuit and going straight to CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
T

takez0

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first post here. I've learned a ton on this board and I'm grateful for the insights you all provide.

I'm getting into technical diving and I'd like to jump straight into a CCR. Does the group see any benefit or hindrance in skipping open circuit tech training costs and equipment costs and going straight into a CCR? CCR's are obviously an investment. I'd rather not spend money on a new BCD, manifold, tanks, etc., that would only be used specifically for dual-tank open circuit, considering I know where I want to end up already. Let me know your thoughts or if you think this is missed training opportunity.

I have no experience on a rebreather, I was asking, why would someone bother with OC, if they intended to only use a rebreather. Maybe you can explain why someone couldn’t use a rebreather to NDL for training and experience and then use a similar rebreather for bailout. Isn’t the liberty rebreather designed for that. It wasn’t long ago people said rebreathers are only for long and deep dives but today people are using them for all their diving. Things move on.
The problem is that every time you go up, you'd have to vent gas out of the bail out rig (and the one you're diving) and when you go down, add gas to it as well, you might run out of hands. Most people have enough trouble managing buoyancy with a single CCR.

To the OP, I have a different perspective on rebreathers than most of the folks here. I do not have anything except pieces of a old Dolphin I bought at a flea market.

Remember that most of the people giving opinions here are long time experienced divers that do not fit the mold of most people that start tech diving. Most people get into the sport and after 5-7 years they are out. Cave divers last 5 years or so until they go and do something else. Career changes, starting families, things change. Some spouses may even complain when you go and spend $500 for a 1 day tech trip,

Rebreathers are not an investment. I cannot tell you how many people I know that have obsolete rebreathers gathering dust in their garage after they go and get a shiny new model that will be obsolete is a few years. I have a friend that has an ororborus, a sentinal, 2 YBOD's, and a sport KISS lying around. The borus probably cost 10 grand when he bought it, and its worth maybe $500 now. That is not an investment.

I looked hard at a Meg about 20 years ago. I could not make the numbers work for me. The Meg and training, all the bits and pieces, was about 10 grand. At the time, I could get my 104's filled with 21/30 for about $100. I know its 3 times that now. It did not make sense to me at that time. Now, I am just too old to worry over it.

My point to all of this, you can probably get a used set of medium doubles (85's or 95's), a couple of stage bottles, back plate and wing for about a grand or thereabouts. A set of decent used regs for 5-600, but you need regs with a rebreather anyhow. When you exhaust the limits of this world, and want to go further, then reevaluate the rebreather.

As a footnote, you get 2 options in the world. You die or you get old. I pissed away a metric ass load of money on diving, airplanes and wives over the last 45 or so years. At the time, it never occurred to me that I wold be here at 70 years old, concerned about running out of my 401k money in 12 or so years (depending on which group of idiots we elect), and not being able to choose which flavor of meow mix would be best on toast in my 80's. Captains platter looks good.

Yeah I've got a few dusty corners and every so often I wash the dust off in the ocean

007.JPG

Buying cheep after those that paid the big bucks finalised divorces and ditched them

What is a true diver? How would we know one if we saw them?

Cousteau has a quote about the sea holding one in its "net of wonder forever". Let's say a true diver is someone who completely understands what Cousteau meant. Not just peering through the door from the outside, but having passed through the portal and emerged on the other side, I cannot imagine wanting to go back or being able to forget...

'Tis a thing of beauty :cool:

I'd hoped to get you interested with that one

rEvo diver in trim

images (7).jpg

get rid of Draeger P ports for bigger stuff

IMG_3739.JPG
IMG_3755.JPG

instructions for delrin and everything else man Chris Kennedy

IMG_3833_LI (2).jpg

or these great breathers for $100 reconfigure it like a LAR if you're into a big plastic box on your chest

IMG_2768.JPG

The depths are the limit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom