Skip Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree 100% with you Netdoc. I just found myself naturally breathing this way after about 45 or 50 dives - and then I read some articles on this. I agree that it shouldn't be taught to new students because of the confusion it would probably cause. I guess if more experienced dives were still having some issues with consumption, they may find this as a helpful hint - I can only really speak for me and I definitely extended my bottom times with this form of breathing by gross amounts. Point taken Netdoc :)

scubadiverjunkie:
... In the holding of breath, you do not want to hold it with the chest -- MOST IMPORTANT is to KEEP THE THROAT OPEN
and later
scubadiverjunkie:
...IT IS SAFE however to hold your lung expansion with the chest muscles instead and keeping the throat open...
I don't know enough about respiration physiology to comment but the two statements seem to logically contradict each other (the part about the chest).

i use the same pause with my lungs full -- and on dives when i do i usually feel really good afterwards -- no post-dive mental exhaustion and no post-dive headache.

liberato:
and laterI don't know enough about respiration physiology to comment but the two statements seem to logically contradict each other (the part about the chest).

Yes - excuse the typo. I did not catch that I had it typed as DO NOT - clearly my mistake and you are rewarded with a great big pat on the back for at least putting in your two cents to point out that I was wrong in typing that mistake - Thank-you !!

The first time I used a regulator under water I seemed to not be able to get enough air. I felt that I was doing something wrong. I made a mouth piece with a hole in it about a quarter inch in diameter. I discovered that a slight pause on inhilation would let my lungs expand a little more. On my next confined water dive I tried this and ever since have not had the "not getting enough air " problem. Is this a form of skip breathing? If it is I need to figure out another way.

With the addition of a new "auto search" feature this past weekend, you'll now find 3 related threads among those listed below that containt the word "skip."

How cool is that? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom