Skin recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My son has outgrown another wet suit. He has decided he only wants to dive warm waters but after a tangle with jellies 2 years ago he will no longer dive in just his swim suit, which was his preference till now. He asked me to check out skins. Does anyone have any recommendations? We are a long way from any LDS, so I want to do some internet research before I drive 50 miles to shop.

This is a very easy question for me to answer. I highly recommend the dive skins from Warm Water Diving Skins by the DiveGoddess Sue has some wonderful dive skins to chose from. They are very well made from high quality material. I think your son will love all of the unusual patterns and colors.

Good luck,
Carolyn @liquidfit.com

I use ScubaPro 1/2 mm dive skins for 80+F. In addition, a drysuit hood (which stops at the neck without an additional frill) is great with them in order to keep warmer, and to protect your head and neck.

I like the X-cel xpedition 1.5/1/.5 suit. I used this as a skin for about 250 dives before I retired it. Great suit!

The best lycra skin I've used is the Blue Reef Royal Lycra. Well made, high grade material, excellent price, less than $50 on line, a little more at a dive shop. Henderson also makes nice skins, but they cost a little more. Anything made of neoprene , even 1mm, is a wetsuit, not a skin. Thin wetsuits are often called skins, but this is a misuse of the term.
I assume your son wants something that gives the feeling of wearing nothing ( the reason they are called skins), but which provides some protection from sun, stings, and minor scrapes. Lycra skins are ideal. Use neoprene only if warmth is an issue. It is not for me in 80F + water. 1mm or 1/2 mm neoprene jumpsuits are great for water in the upper 70's, but they do not have the effortless fit and feeling of skins.

I have an Oceanic Microprene 1 mil suit. Easy on, easy off. I wear it just for jelly fish. I've got about 150 dives on the suit & it's still in good condition. Bought it on line for about $70, a few years back. Akona makes a similar suit.

This is a very easy question for me to answer. I highly recommend the dive skins from Warm Water Diving Skins by the DiveGoddess Sue has some wonderful dive skins to chose from. They are very well made from high quality material. I think your son will love all of the unusual patterns and colors.

Good luck,
Carolyn @liquidfit.com

Now THOSE are some interesting skins! No fear of looking boring in them! thanks, I'll show my son.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom