Skin Bends????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That experience just sucks Wylerbear. I know it can happen, but it just shouldn't, and - you would have thought that a physician from Hawaii would know something about DCS. Thanks for sharing your story so others may become better prepared for when caca hits fan. I've never been a physician so I do not know how challenging it may be to get things right, but I have been examined by a few over the decades whom I wouldn't trust with anything more complicated than a band-aid.

Your tale, in addition to some others I've heard and even seen really drives home the need to call DAN at the firs sign of problems, talk with a Dive Doc person to person, and have good patient info in mind as you then encounter the ER Doc. At the other end of the possibilities, I'm sure that at some chamber clinics - if one arrives with a DAN card and even a hint of a problem, there's going to be at least one chamber ride, needed or not.

My father received some chamber rides at a privately owned facility in Lubbock for wound treatment, and in visiting with the owner Doc, he told me of a young fellow he treated for DCS after ascending the 900 ft elevator ride at Carlsbad Caverns - at least a day after the elevator. What baloney.

I have considered carrying an Oxygen bottle with me in case of time like you described, or maybe even using is after a day's dives as a prophylactic, but I fear I might mask symptoms, enter a state of thinking I'm fine, only to learn the hard way that I complicated things. That is a part of my nature.

simonspear:
When is a skin rash more than just a rash from neoprene or another irritant and something more serious? If it is a skin bend is the rash accompanied by pain? I've had a rash after diving before, but never thought too much about it until I read this thread.

Cheers, Simon
I think you'd need to simply include that along with all other symptoms when you talk to a Dive Doc. I don't think you have ready access to DAN Docs in the UK, but y'all seem to have a different system over there.

Having a copy of DAN's 5 minute neurological exam and having it administered by an experienced dive buddy might be good. I'll search for that can add it here later....

<edit> I just spoke with Marty the Medic at DAN. He's going to email me a copy of the exam from the course they offer, and I'll post it later today here.

Okay, I got the DAN 5 minute exam alright, but it's in Adobe and is slightly too large for an attachment. I tried saving it as Word, but it loses a lot of its impact, and I don't feel qualified to edit the fonts and all, risking a typo that could change meanings.

Let me refer y'all to this thread that has an excellent discussion and resources along this line...

Don, the 5 minute neuro exam is in the TDI Deco Procedures text.

My opinion about doctors is the same about my opinion about people in any skilled trade, when they run into something they are not familiar with, they guess. It's scary really. It's a bad feeling to be in, and I hope I am never in it.

Dean810:
My opinion about doctors is the same about my opinion about people in any skilled trade, when they run into something they are not familiar with, they guess. It's scary really. It's a bad feeling to be in, and I hope I am never in it.
Guessing is an absolute last resort, and even then, its an educated guess bringing all prior experience to bear to maximize the chance of success.

simonspear:
When is a skin rash more than just a rash from neoprene or another irritant and something more serious? If it is a skin bend is the rash accompanied by pain? I've had a rash after diving before, but never thought too much about it until I read this thread.

Cheers, Simon
Dive Profile, ascent rate and cold water are a few factors to consider regarding localized or general post-dive skin rashes, with or without pain:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1282388&postcount=22

Back
Top Bottom