Skills for PADI basic "Scuba Diver" versus Open Water cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info! I get in a pool maybe once a year and haven't really actively tried to swim 200 yards for probably twenty years, so it's really just a matter of not being confident I could. I don't have a pool particularly close to me, so practice swimming just to get the endurance down (versus a weekend of PADI training) is probably not an option.

I am familiar with and have done the unfogging/clearing technique, but just don't think I can go all the way and take it off considering how difficult it was just to let a bit of water in the mask, and I guess was hoping this more basic certification would just advise you to surface (since you're pretty limited on how far down you can go) instead of trying to resolve it under water. Perhaps I'm best suited on a lounger at the beach :wink: - thanks again for your response.

If I can get through OW, anyone can. I was afraid of the deep end of the pool! I did the swim mostly on my back and some side stroke. Doesn’t matter how long it takes. Actually, there is a 300 meter option snorkeling it. If you’re comfortable snorkeling, perhaps that might be a better option for you.

Just took lots of time in the water to get comfortable. I now dive deep (to 130ft) shipwrecks in the cold water of the Great Lakes. Warm water with good visibility? That should make it easier for you.

I know someone who ended up with the PADI scuba diver cert only because there were a few issues and she ran out of time on her vacation to compete all 4 dives. Only got the first two dives in. Finished the other 2 dives at home in the quarry a few months later.

Definately get yr swimming up to speed! Good fr yr health whilst diving. Taking yr mask off was massive struggle fr me ! But there is a trick! Get a good instructor n you will achieve it mate. K

If I can get through OW, anyone can. I was afraid of the deep end of the pool! I did the swim mostly on my back and some side stroke. Doesn’t matter how long it takes. Actually, there is a 300 meter option snorkeling it. If you’re comfortable snorkeling, perhaps that might be a better option for you.

Just took lots of time in the water to get comfortable. I now dive deep (to 130ft) shipwrecks in the cold water of the Great Lakes. Warm water with good visibility? That should make it easier for you.

I know someone who ended up with the PADI scuba diver cert only because there were a few issues and she ran out of time on her vacation to compete all 4 dives. Only got the first two dives in. Finished the other 2 dives at home in the quarry a few months later.
This in spades - not wanting to rail on @Marie13 but I am sure she will admit she was possibly the least likely OW candidate. She persevered and has become a very confident and accomplished diver.

Getting a good instructor is worth the search. Finding someone that will take the time to work through your issues as opposed to someone that just wants to certify you ASAP makes the difference between a diver and someone that dives. I paid extra to do my course one to one with an instructor and in hindsight it was totally worthwhile as I had their undivided attention. This meant he could make sure I had the skills properly ingrained before moving on.

I did both and they’re basically the same if I remember but obviously the full OW was more stuff.

Btw I’m not sure if you realise that with the PADI scuba diver, you have to have a PADI instructor accompanying you. So think about that.

If you’re very uncomfortable taking off your mask, try to get used to it in a pool, if it doesn’t work, divings not for you unfortunately.

Btw I’m not sure if you realise that with the PADI scuba diver, you have to have a PADI instructor accompanying you.
Or Divemaster.....doesn't have to be an Instructor. But your point is well taken.

My wife could not take off her mask....but a good instructor worked with her, and she is now an instructor. And a very patient and understanding one, too!

Maybe diving isn’t for you, but most everyone has some of the same concerns starting out, and more. And most everyone (that really wants to) gets past them with a good instructor. So it depends how much you want to.

The skills you’re talking about wishing to avoid are some of the most fundamental and important stuff. Whatever skills might be skipped in the “lighter” certification, it wouldn’t be those. I see the Scuba Diver certification as more of a way to deal with time constraints that you finish up when you can.

As far as swimming, think about it - can you really imagine a scuba certification class of any sort for people who can’t swim? Most people don’t have access to a pool or swim very often, but I don’t think they forget how to swim. If you can basically swim (which it sounds like you can) the swim is not as big a deal as you’re making it out to be. It doesn’t have to be pretty, people don’t train for it like they’re heading to the olympics. If you like to snorkel I’m sure you could manage that option. They just need to know you can swim and are comfortable in the water.

To echo what has already been said....if you did a DSD, you can dull a full OW course. I completely understand your apprehensions about mask removal, etc. but understand they are necessary skills. Not just so your instructor can torture you or even to get an idea of your comfort being underwater, but to teach you to handle issues underwater to keep you safe at all times. The last thing you want is to be at 80ft and have to surface because your mask got dislodged and filled with water, or worse yet kicked off. Surfacing immediately is a bad idea because it's dangerous. Mask or no mask you still have to maintain that 30 ft/min ascent rate so you're going to be without use of your vision for at least 2.5 minutes on your way to the surface. Much easier to spend 3-5 seconds clearing the water out of your mask at depth and continue on your merry little way.

I was like you in that regard. I knew I wanted to dive but I was damn near terrified of the mask clearing skill. And the first time I tried in the shallow end I aspirated water and stood up feeling like I couldn't breathe. I completed the skill but I wasn't at all comfortable with it. The second day in the pool I actually perforated an eardrum doing a snorkeling skill and that ended my class for at least 6 weeks. I waited a year to try again because I was still extremely uncomfortable doing the mask skills. But I pushed through it and now I can do it no problem. And if you look at my avatar I typically dive a full face mask (more on that in a moment) which means if I have to doff (remove) it underwater, not only am I without my vision for a few moments, but I'm without air, too, since the regulator is integrated into the mask assembly. I practiced it and practiced it and practiced it again until I could do it without even giving it a second thought.

Something to look forward to: Full Face Mask. Why? For a few reasons. First and foremost for me....no fogging, no leaking, and almost impossible to dislodge since on my particular one (Ocean Reef G. Diver) there are 6 straps holding it in place. Aside from that, no jaw fatigue since you aren't holding anything in your mouth to breathe from. Also, it allows you to breathe through your mouth or your nose, depending on how you have it set up. Also, since there's nothing in your mouth, you can talk. And with an additional COMMS unit, you can talk to other divers with a full face mask and COMMS, which makes underwater communication worlds easier, even with those on the surface. So if you really are concerned about mask skills, maybe a full face mask (FFM) is something to consider after you get your certification. I mentioned having to remove it underwater. Considering all of the reasons to dive one that I mentioned, you're probably asking why would you ever want to remove it? What happens if the regulator stops delivering air? Or in my case in June, what if in the middle of a dive an o-ring blows and your system starts free-flowing air? For me and my kit there was a simple solution. I make sure to keep a spare conventional mask and spare 2nd stage regulator with me on every dive. And I have a quick disconnect fitting on my mask and 2nd stage reg so I can easily disconnect/connect as necessary. So when it happened, I disconnected my primary air line to stop the free-flow, removed my ffm, placed my octo in my mouth, then replaced the ffm with a conventional mask, cleared it and continued my dive (with about 500psi less air). Once I was settled I installed my spare 2nd stage on my primary hose, switched to it and stowed my octo in case someone else needed it later. Obviously this particular incident is sort of a worst case scenario and is extremely uncommon (first time for me) but being prepared for it is key.

So maybe rather than being afraid of the skills, think of them in terms of why they're required and consider them a personal challenge for you to overcome. A goal if you will. I'm now an SDI Divemaster and so far have helped usher roughly 100 students into the underwater world. Some with a few issues we needed to work on and other that I could swear have been diving for years. Trust me when I say I've seen students that I wasn't even sure belonged near water turn into half-way decent divers by the end of their OW weekend. And oh yeah.....a couple of them could barely swim. So if they can do it....I'm pretty positive you could, too. Like someone else already said....it really is mind over matter. If you're at all interested in scuba diving, I would strongly encourage you not to give up. I promise you any fears and apprehensions you have can be overcome with proper mindset and the right instructor. If you want my advice (and take it for what you paid for it), talk to a few instructors before you decide which one you want teaching you. Explain your concerns and find one that makes you feel comfortable. Each instructor has his/her own style of teaching and finding the right one for you makes all the difference in the world. But don't give up. Because as soon as you do, you'll wish you hadn't. You'll be snorkeling on the surface, always wondering what you might be missing beneath the waves.

For the swim test, I believe you can stop and rest -- you just cant hold on to something. (You mentioned doubting you could swim 200 yds nonstop). And I believe its untimed

Im not the best swimmer (although Im much better w/ fins) and I mostly back-stroked my swim test. Took twice as long as other folks, but I did it.

I believe you can stop and rest -- you just cant hold on to something.
The standard says a "continuous" swim, not one with stopping and resting.

You aren't talking about any issues that many others haven't had to deal with. Some are more honest than others about admitting to them.

You may find the posts here set your mind at ease a bit. Confessions of an unlikely diver

If you really want to dive.. you can work you way though it as long as there are no medical issues. I hope you find the right answer for you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom