skill perfection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been doing a lot of pool diving over the cold months, my usual buddy and I are prepping for an intro to tech course this August. One thing I've noted with myself is somewhat restless legs. Has anybody else experianced this issue? I find it mostly when I am doing things such as shutting valves on and off. Any tips others have found to minimize this issue?

The second thing I am practising every time I go out is my back finning. I find success in backfinning on demand, however I seem to kick myself upwards often. Maybe it is to do with being shallow and trying it, I am also using al80 doubles 7mil wetsuit and no weight at about 1500psi. Just really wish I could not have to think about not floating up while I backfin. I generally exhale while doing it but sometimes that is not enough.

Any advise on the issues will be super!

The pulling yourself upward when back-kicking is a result of not having your back arched and your hips pushed out. If you have your hips scrunched (humping the metaphorical dog), it'll pull you up on a back-kick. I still have that issue if I'm not deliberate.

Restless legs may just be a function of practice, but I feel some amount of fin sculling is normal.

hmm that isn't something I've focused on, that may be the answer. I'll pay some special attention and post how that goes next time I am in the pool! Thanks!

I agree it is a bad habit that I am trying to kick (lol didn't intend on that pun), getting a lot better than I use to be with it, but still finding myself away from my buddy when doing things.

If your Fin’s are affecting your trim and buoyancy, get rid of them. Seriously, do your drills without Fin’s.

hmm that isn't something I've focused on, that may be the answer. I'll pay some special attention and post how that goes next time I am in the pool! Thanks!

I agree it is a bad habit that I am trying to kick (lol didn't intend on that pun), getting a lot better than I use to be with it, but still finding myself away from my buddy when doing things.
It's that whole cliche about "practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect."

I worked on a back kick for like 6 months, and then had a guy at the pool (who was lifeguarding) lean over and say "Can I offer a piece of advice? Stop humping the dog and that kick will improve."

Not overly poetic, but it worked.

Nobody is teaching a class, it's just my buddy and I messing around getting a feel for doubles mostly, and while we are at it we work on important stuff. When we do enroll in our intro to tech it'll be Matt from Dan's Dive Shop., they're a great place to learn tech stuff from.

I recently got the jetfins, haha I got rid of the fins that were effecting me negitivly, the sherwood fusions. I like the jetfins a lot a world of difference. I'll pay attention to the humping the dog thing, maybe I am doing that.

Arch the back, squeeze the butt cheeks, ankles together, swing the Fin’s out (load position) and sharply bring the legs forward, allow the legs to reset SLOWLY.....

Best way to learn back kick is in pool, at the surface, with just mask and fins. Practice until the movement is perfected, consistent and ingained.

Only then add scuba kit.

Needless to say, proper trim and body positioning are critical prerequisites. You simply won't achieve success until they're mastered and consistent.

The most problematic and neglected aspect of the skill isn't the power stroke, it's actually the loading stroke.

The extension of the fins has to be absolutely efficient, or it'll immediately arrest any momentum and/or drive your legs upwards.

It takes great patience and you absolutely have to focus on getting the technical movement right, not rush to get propulsion happening.

Most students are impatient and try to force it...and flaws in the technique cripple any progress.

Start practice static - holding the side of the pool. This initially helps focus on perfecting the technique without a temptation to force things and get sloppy.

Back kick is a nuanced skill that requires real attention to detail.

Finally worked out how to post FB videos. LOL

You'll see a pool practice sessions with different students in the videos below. Typically, it's a 1/2 day in the pool working propulsion, then a session off the beach with kit underwater.

Having a coach to provide immediate feedback and correction turns months of frustration into a 1 or 2-day learning process

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom