Size Of The Technical Diving Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the tech market to grow, there may need to be a form of "competitive diving" that attracts sponsorship, fanbase, viewership, and the myriad commercial opportunities that go along with it. Of course, "goal directed" diving is anathema to tech diving culture. As an example of competitive diving, creating an obstruction course where perfect trim, efficient finning (don't disturb the environment while completing the course fastest) might be one means to determine who is physically the most adroit diver. Awareness is less obvious to evaluate but not impossible.

Short of something drastic, I don't see how the basic business model of churning out vacation divers will change.

For the tech market to grow, there may need to be a form of "competitive diving" that attracts sponsorship, fanbase, viewership, and the myriad commercial opportunities that go along with it. Of course, "goal directed" diving is anathema to tech diving culture. As an example of competitive diving, creating an obstruction course where perfect trim, efficient finning (don't disturb the environment while completing the course fastest) might be one means to determine who is physically the most adroit diver. Awareness is less obvious to evaluate but not impossible.

Short of something drastic, I don't see how the basic business model of churning out vacation divers will change.

Interesting concept, but I don't see that happening. "Diving is not a competition" is pounded into the heads of many OW divers, by many instructors. The Tech market is nichey, and will probably always be so. Gas for a set of doubles is expensive. Now if you want to talk about a market that is growing, and has the most potential, it's rebreathers. The technology is getting better, they are getting cheaper and people are embracing the "rebreather experience" more than ever.

These?

DGX Snap, Sliding Bolt, Swivel-Eye, Butterfly {3.75 in | 9.5 cm} S/S | Dive Gear Express®

I think I also saw them being stocked at a local tack shop (equestrian supplies) along with bolt snaps, double enders, and other handy items. The ones I saw *looked* like good quality, but I don't know what the actual materials were.

Those would be the ones! I can't believe I hadn't looked at DGX. Thanks!
I'm always leary of snaps from non-marine places, they tend to have springs that are not stainless.

-Chris

To give you an idea of the size of the Technical Diving market in the Rocky Mountain region, I was teaching a couple of students this weekend at the primary tech diving site in the region--Rock Lake, NM. There was an amazing number of people there in comparison with past experiences. I have only had another group there at the same time as I a few times. This weekend, we had about a dozen cars there at once, and there must have been about 15-16 people there. I said at one point that my students were very nearly getting to meet all the technical divers in the Rocky Mountains. That was a joke, of course, but others took it relatively seriously and began to name the people they knew of that were not there. We did not come up with all that many names.

Bigger here in FL but

Financial considerations are going to limit it to a certain degree no matter how many opportunities there are.

It will be limited by intellect as well,can you really think of a tech diver you consider of average or below intelligience?I know fat ones,smokers,heavy drinkers,foolhardy ones but none are dim.

Going to be limited by personality type too,as it takes a blend of adventuresome traits to want to along with a certain OCD flair to do it for long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom