size does matter ~ sizing p-valve caths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of these days I'm going to switch to a drysuit. I'm going to need an answer to this question first, even if it is a bit embarassing.

Some guys experience lots of change in size depending on mood and temperature. What is average at some times, can nearly disappear during a cold-water dive, if you get my drift. Will the cath stay on? The loose skin is still there, so I think it might work.

I'm not going to hydrate less, I can't usually cut my dives short, and (sorry ladies) I'm not going to go the Depends route. If a p-valve won't work, I'll keep on diving wet. I'd just rather know before I spend a large wad of cash on a drysuit.

I can't see switching to a drysuit just to use a p-valve... the p-valve is merely a helpful addition... the drysuit has other compelling advantages.

As for staying on: Rochester wide-bands have 70% longer adhesive (though this in itself may not solve the disappearing problem caused by cold.) Corrrect sizing is also an important factor.

But a more important point would be to dress so as to stay as warm as possible. That is, after all, one of the main reasons for using a drysuit.

I was unclear (or you are just messing with me). I consider a p-valve to be a necessary accessory, not an incentive, for switching to a drysuit. The incentive is increased warmth during long, multi-dive days. I just don't want to solve a minor problem by creating a major one.

I'm tired of having to search for 20 minutes to find this thread to reference it when I am talking to divers about drysuits, or when I am trying to describe the funniest thread I've ever read on here.

A couple of samples of the small size will be arriving at my friends work here pretty shortly. Hopefully somebody else opens them.

Scot M:
Some guys experience lots of change in size depending on mood and temperature. What is average at some times, can nearly disappear during a cold-water dive, if you get my drift. Will the cath stay on? The loose skin is still there, so I think it might work.

If you go with the Rochester Wide Band, your equipment can change size, jump up and down or try to move to a different planet if it wants to.

Everything will still stay put and work as advertised. :cool:

Note that they're called "Wide Band" because the adhesive runs almost completely to the outlet.

FWIW, when you're done, they actually roll off quite easily if you have a little patience. However it's not something you want to rush (more than once) :cool:

Terry

reubencahn:
For those not interested in boxes of 100, where do you purchase?

I purchase mine at a medical supply store. Some drug stores also carry them.
Butch

Mo2vation:
I see. Sort of like one of those spaghetti serving measuring thingies they sell at Williams Sonoma. The device with the different size holes in it.

But only sort of...

---
Ken

"Here, Honey, I bought this for cath measurements, but I thought you might be able to use it in the kitchen as well."

I'm sure there's a bunch of oversized p-valves sitting in a bunch of closets across the globe...hahaaaaaaa....it's gotta be worth 50% of their annual revenue...How do you account for "shrinkage?" Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................

Back
Top Bottom