SITech Valve, exhause valve very slow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ding dang

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently bought a used OS-Systems suit with SITech valves. It's pretty old, but not ancient. When I put it on, seal it up, and bend over, I get a bunch of air in the chest region, to test my exhaust valve. I open it up all the way, nothing comes out. I turn it the other way, nothing comes out. When I open it all the way and purge it, it only lets air out VERY slowly, like a faint hiss. Almost no pressure change in the suit.

Can I open the valve and clean it out to make it flow? I'd rather not have to return it. Will it vent better underwater? Unfortunately, all I can do is test it in the bathtub, hah. What would you do?

I would try it in a pool. I leave my valve open pretty much all the time and when I crouch down to vent the suit, I break the neck seal. I've never paid any attention to the exhaust valve, but it can't be letting all that much air out or I wouldn't need to pull the seal.

There will be a lot more pressure on it in the water though.

Ah, the joys of buying a used drysuit. I'd recommend getting together with an experienced drysuit diver and having him help you assess whether the exhaust valve is functioning properly. (He might also catch other potential issues with the suit.) It sounds like it should be venting faster than it actually is. With a used drysuit, you have no idea how the suit was cared for. Debris could be clogging the exhaust valve. Parts within the valve might have deteriorated. Your undergarment could be blocking up the valve. On the bright side of things, replacement of the exhaust valve (if necessary) should be fairly straightforward.

I do hope that the drysuit zipper is in good shape...or else you can look forward to an expensive repair in the near future.

The USIA rep here on Scubaboard gave me a recipe for rejuvenating a dump valve: Soak it overnight in distilled water, and then again in distilled water with a few drops of liquid soap (not detergent -- something like Ivory).

If that doesn't work, you CAN take the dump valve apart and clean it. I have a photo essay HERE on how to do that. Be aware that the plastic case is somewhat fragile, and if you are overly forceful getting it apart, you may damage it so that it won't go back together.

If all else fails, Bob3 here on SB sells SiTech valves at the best price I have found anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom