site availability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apologize is spelt apologise :wink:.

On topic, though, would adding another server solve the availability issues on the site? I saw this morning that of the 147 people online, 4 were supporting members, so clearly this would not be generating enough funds for an upgrade/new server.

What about a wishlist of items that are needed, that various SB members can either sponsor or donate? I am sure that many members come from the IT field and may have the very hardware needed lying around...

Or is it not that simple?

Cheers,

Andrew

ShoalDiverSA:
I saw this morning that of the 147 people online, 4 were supporting members, so clearly this would not be generating enough funds for an upgrade/new server.
Not all Supporting Members can be recognized as such.

DandyDon:
Would you like your money back? Please take your receipt to the Customer Service desk...

I like that one, Don !!!

There's another good, old wise saying . . .

"Don't get something for nothing and then complain about the quality."

the K

El Orans:
Not all Supporting Members can be recognized as such.

True, I forgot that you had to opt to have it displayed.

Out of interest, how many supporting members are there? Or is it impolite to ask (in which case ignore the question)?

Cheers,

Andrew

ShoalDiverSA:
True, I forgot that you had to opt to have it displayed.

Out of interest, how many supporting members are there? Or is it impolite to ask (in which case ignore the question)?

Cheers,

Andrew
You'd have to ask NetDoc...

ShoalDiverSA:
Out of interest, how many supporting members are there?

Cheers,

Andrew

I've heard that there are thousands and thousands and that's just a fraction of what he gets from sponsors. Netdoc lives on a private island bought with the money from the board, while the board server is the first PC he ever bought. It's like a 286 Acer with 4 megs of ram. He won't buy a better server because he needs the money to buy fuel for his 737.

That's what I heard.

DandyDon:
Would you like your money back? Please take your receipt to the Customer Service desk...

The Kraken:
I like that one, Don !!!

There's another good, old wise saying . . .

"Don't get something for nothing and then complain about the quality."

the K

I think it's fair to ask why this board has been down lately, and, to put it lightly, I don't think it is very polite to flame someone for asking the question.

I support this site by buying equipment from the sponsors, and letting them know that advertising on SB is what led to my purchase. This site is a great resource for scuba divers, but if connection problems are bad, users of this forum may go elsewhere for the information. I, for one, would not want that to happen. The Kraken - The administrators created this subforum for questions like this. If you don't want feedback about the site why even have this subforum? It was a legitimate question and it deserves a legitimate answer.

If you don't have anything constructive to add, take some advice from your mom: "if you can say something nice, don't say anything at all."

minnesota01r6:
I think it's fair to ask why this board has been down lately, and, to put it lightly, I don't think it is very polite to flame someone for asking the question.

I support this site by buying equipment from the sponsors, and letting them know that advertising on SB is what led to my purchase. This site is a great resource for scuba divers, but if connection problems are bad, users of this forum may go elsewhere for the information. I, for one, would not want that to happen. The Kraken - The administrators created this subforum for questions like this. If you don't want feedback about the site why even have this subforum? It was a legitimate question and it deserves a legitimate answer.

If you don't have anything constructive to add, take some advice from your mom: "if you can say something nice, don't say anything at all."
The Krackend is being flippant because he wants to divert attention away from the truth: That this board is not upgraded because the massive surplus of generated funds is dispersed greedily among the Moderators.

Now, I hope you appreciate the seriousness of my response and feel better.:D

EDIT: Ha!! Serves me right. When I went to post this, I got the following screen:

Minn,

You have an excellent point !!!

I was being flippant, and I do apologize that I ruffled your feathers.

I guess I was just thinking about the bare bones staff that Net Doc has with which to run this web site.

The Kraken

Dennis,

That's one of the reasons I respect you. You can stop and look at yourself rather than simply digging in your heels.

Let's go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom