Sit-On-Top Drain Holes: Can they be Plugged?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

'The Colada is rated for 250 pounds, I weigh about 160, and I can't imagine my gear weighing anywhere near 90.'

Well, your tank is about 40 lbs and your weight belt, maybe 12? and other assorted gear plus life jacket plus paddle plus safety gear which is required on even a kayak like signal devices etc and then your BC and backplate and maybe a water bottle and flag and on and on. I can think you will be easily close to the limit with very little surplus bouyancy. It does not matter to me but I think you need something more in the 12 foot range with more capacity but you may be right. It may be just adequate for you and work just fine. Good luck with it. N

Mambo Dave:
Too bad the Prisms are just about useless as a dive kayak...

The same for my Perception Back Country. My wifes Tarpon 130T is perfect to dive from but not as nimble as mine. It's a trade off. A wider beam means more stability but less manuverability.

I use scupper plugs in the winter and leave the drain holes open in summer.

V. G. McGillicuddy:
And Mambo Dave, I say when the alligator bites your paddle, shove it down his throat, he'll probably choke and die.

Just kidding.

-McGill

LOL, you must have a MUCH more stable kayak than I, V.G. When that gator starts a-rollin', he can have my paddle.

The dive yak I think I'd want is a Scrambler XT. My buddy's seemed quite stout, and sea-worthy, when we were 3 miles out in BIG seas. (You should have seen the eyes of the guys who were pulling up to the buoy in boats when they got close enough to see us amonst the troughs.) Actually, I think the kayaks handled the weather *better* than did small boats that day... that is, if one wasn't thrown out of the kayak compensating to the wrong side when a wave hit 'wrong.'

Off topic, but what the hey: For a paddle strap, I use round screen spline (to hold screen doors in), tied to my kayak and around the center of my paddle. The spline, in a medium size, is supple enough to not be noticable when paddling. I use enough of it that it doesn't restrict any angle I might want to put my paddle at, but it's there in case I go over.

Now that I think about it, an ocean strap could be dangerous in alligator waters... hmm... :confused6

Actually, I don't have a kayak at all. Not yet, anyway.
Nemrod, you may be right, I guess all that extra stuff can add up. I think I'll weigh my dive setup, to start with, and see how close it gets.
But will I be able to find a 12-footer for under $300?

-McGill

Hate to be the pessimist, but... Unless you find a steal of a deal, probably not. Used SoT kayaks, alone, seem to cost about $350 down here. My friend got hers with a paddle, mine came without, so there was another $100 or so (carbon fiber).

Hmmm... So if I bump the budget to under $500...
What about the Pelican Castaway? It is 11'6", has a capacity of 350 pounds, and costs $450 +tax, including a paddle. It also has a hatch up front and more open cargo space in back.
The downside is that it's stern is pointed, not squared off like the Colada.

Thoughts on this?

-McGill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom