Sit-On-Top Drain Holes: Can they be Plugged?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

V. G. McGillicuddy

Contributor
Reaction score
I live in Wisconsin and am looking for a small craft to use as a dive platform for local lakes. The LDS is having a clearance sale on the Islander "Colada" sit-on-top. I am considering buying one for use as a dive platform on local lakes and streams, but I am wondering: If I plugged the drain holes to keep from getting too wet on non-diving excursions (fishing), would it have any adverse affects?

Thanks,
McGill

No. They are for self-bailing but may be plugged. Many manufactures sell rubber or neoprene plugs that may be inserted into the holes to keep the cockpit dry. They may be pulled out when not needed. On flatwater paddling where you do not have waves or spray coming into the boat they may be useful for keeping things dry. I would try to use the neoprene plugs and not try to plug the drain holes permanently.

V. G. McGillicuddy:
I live in Wisconsin and am looking for a small craft to use as a dive platform for local lakes. The LDS is having a clearance sale on the Islander "Colada" sit-on-top. I am considering buying one for use as a dive platform on local lakes and streams, but I am wondering: If I plugged the drain holes to keep from getting too wet on non-diving excursions (fishing), would it have any adverse affects?

Thanks,
McGill

http://kayakfishingstuff.com/Mercha...ROD&Product_Code=Scupplugs&Category_Code=misc

Scupper Plugs.

---
Ken

Great! If I decide to buy the kayak, I'll definitely be adding a set of plugs to the list!

Thanks guys!

McGill

I have never heard of that brand kayak. Without knowing more I would recommend an Ocean Kayak, a Cobra or maybe a few others like Perception, never heard of Colada.

Yes, you can plug the holes with scupper plugs but any water that splashes in (and it will splash in) will remain in the cockpit with you. I would recommend also neoprene paddle shorts. Sit on tops tend to be wet. My Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro will have some water in the cockpit but if I am using the seat cushion I am not constantly wet unless I plug the holes. N

I am not familiar with the Coloda. I do have an Islander sit-on-top called a Reggae with a tank well in it. It is about 5 years old and has held up well in both ocean and class 2-3 whitewater playing. Islander boats seem to do pretty well and have yet to have a problem with them. I did not like the backrest that came with mine and later replaced it with a sturdier brand.

The Colada is very similar to the Reggae, except that it is a little smaller at 10' 3" long versus the Reggae's 11' 7". Like the Reggae, it is no longer in production, which may be why the dive shop is clearing them out.

-McGill

EDIT: I think I read somewhere that Islander was a sub-brand, made by Perception or Ocean Kayak or something. I'm not sure, because I can't find it now.

Not sure on your weight but kayaks are sized to a person by their weight to some degree and to the expected load. A ten foot kayak for an average male plus dive gear sound way to small. N

What my gf and I found was that we like the plug the holes in our Perception Prism SoT kayaks on cooler days, but unplug them on the really hot Florida days to use the feet-area water to help stay cooler.

Too bad the Prisms are just about useless as a dive kayak...

Plugging the holes will raise your center of gravity, making them slightly less stable. This is almost unperceivable, but it will be dependant on your hull deisgn and water conditions. Too, since I don't have a rod holder, I would stick the end of the spinning rod into one of the holes to take a break, or try trolling, sometimes.

On that note: Some kayaks are actually stable enough that, on calm water, a balanced person can stand up on them, mid water, to take a better look around. I've done this just to test out my balance and my 'yak. What I haven't done, but what was implied by some kayak salesman to me, was that there's at least one kayak he could stand up and cast from. I don't think I'll be trying that.

Remember: when the alligator bites your paddle, hold it loosely, he'll probably let go.

The Colada is rated for 250 pounds, I weigh about 160, and I can't imagine my gear weighing anywhere near 90. I'm not sure though, because I never weighed it. Will have to check into that.

And Mambo Dave, I say when the alligator bites your paddle, shove it down his throat, he'll probably choke and die.

Just kidding.

-McGill

Back
Top Bottom