Sipadan Rocks - Can't get Enough!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have recently visited Sipadan for a diving vacation and it has totally left me in awe.

To anyone who is looking for adventurous dives boasting a huge biodiversity, unspoiled reefs and vertical drop offs this is the place to be! From fierce big sharks to tiny colorful nudibranches. Siapadan really has it all.

I had some safety concerns, when going to Sipadan because of the infamous 2000 Abu Sayaf kidnapping there, but since then they have set up a permanent navy post there. So nowadays human danger isn’t a concern there any more.

Sipadan is Malaysias only oceanic island and formed by a volcano. The deposits of volcanic minerals cause for a rich variation in biodiversity. Couples with 50 meters visibility in the dry season makes this the perfect spot for stunning dives to spot all kinds of weird creatures:

Schools of whirling barracuda, a dozen sea turtles of varying species, a handful of sharks, and a teeming reef of angelfish, triggerfish, morays, and gobies all on one dive.

The only thing that’s a big of a hassle at Sipadan is getting a permit, since there are only 120 dive permits issued each day! Generally, planning a diving trip there can be a bit confusing, but the following infographic really useful:

Sipadan also has a rich history during colonial times. Sipadan Island Diving - Notable Sites, Dive Resorts, LiveaboardsIt’s an interesting read.

Was wondering if anyone of you guys has been there. Perhaps someone who managed to go to all the diving spots? My time was a bit too short unfortunately.

Sipadan = Malaysia. Wrong subforum?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom