Sipadan - diveconditions april-june

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeamonkey

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Can anyone fill me in on the diveconditions in sipadan from april through June with regards to visibility and expected larger marinelife (thinking mantas, whalesharks, hammerheads etc)?

April to June should have excellent conditions.

Over the past few years I have been several times to Sipadan and January was the only month where conditions weren't great - the vis was poor. Even then however there was loads to see and I was with some first timers to Sipadan who still raved about it.

Obviously there are no guarantess when it comes to marine life sightings but you can expect to see plenty at Sipadan. If you stay for more than a couple of days you would have to consider yourself unlucky not to see any barracuda (they take you to Barracuda Point often enough). Sharks are likely too, especially white tips and leopard sharks but also grey reefs, hammerheads and threshers are possible if not frequent.

In all the times I have been there I have never seen a manta ray or an eagle ray although I am told these sightings are made occasionally.

Anyway what can be guaranteed is loads of good diving and plenty of things of interest. So have fun!

April to June should have excellent conditions.

Over the past few years I have been several times to Sipadan and January was the only month where conditions weren't great - the vis was poor. Even then however there was loads to see and I was with some first timers to Sipadan who still raved about it.

Obviously there are no guarantess when it comes to marine life sightings but you can expect to see plenty at Sipadan. If you stay for more than a couple of days you would have to consider yourself unlucky not to see any barracuda (they take you to Barracuda Point often enough). Sharks are likely too, especially white tips and leopard sharks but also grey reefs, hammerheads and threshers are possible if not frequent.

In all the times I have been there I have never seen a manta ray or an eagle ray although I am told these sightings are made occasionally.

Anyway what can be guaranteed is loads of good diving and plenty of things of interest. So have fun!

Back
Top Bottom