Sinus Surgery, thinking about it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Theoretically, if they go through the orbital wall (a rare complication of sinus surgery) and then you dive before healing is complete with scar tissue you could get periorbital emphysema (gas around the eye in the soft tissue). That actually sometimes happens to people who haven't had surgery who don't equalize their mask correctly.

My son has a polyp in his frontal sinus that causes him pain when he dives. I suggested that he get it removed, but he gave up diving instead...! Oh, well... I guess he wasn't that into it.

How long do you think after surgery it takes to be able to do sport again and to scuba?

How long do you think after surgery it takes to be able to do sport again and to scuba?

That depends on the specific details of the procedure... .something to ask the surgeon.

I've been following this thread closely as I have a similar problem. I have always "hocked up" almost half a mouthful of orange mucous after getting back on the boat after each dive, weird, but no problems. Then last year when diving I was descending at about 15 feet when all of a sudden it felt like my right upper molars were going to explode! I went back up a couple feet and then the pain subsided. I then worked my way down and there was still some pain which eventually subsided. After the dive I went to my dentist and they did a root canal. Six months later I'm in Cozumel diving and on my fourth dive guess what, the same pain again, WTF! Over the week of diving it happened two more times, each time I was able to work through it and complete the dives. I am still "hocking up" a lot of mucous after I surface, sometimes with a little blood in it, but always kind of orange in color.
I was originally thinking that there must be air trapped in the tooth, and was going to schedule a visit with the endodontist again, but after reading through this thread I am going to cancel that appointment and schedule a visit with an ENT instead. Any toughts or opinions?

Yeah, could be a block in the right maxillary sinus.

Yeah, could be a block in the right maxillary sinus.
Thank you doctormike! I've been diving since 1974 and never had a problem until now. I'm definitely not ready to give it up, so I guess it's appointment time with an ENT doc. Getting older is not for wimps.

Thank you doctormike! I've been diving since 1974 and never had a problem until now. I'm definitely not ready to give it up, so I guess it's appointment time with an ENT doc. Getting older is not for wimps.

As my dad used to say, getting old is terrible, but it's better than the alternative!

Hi All

Today at 09:00 CET the surgery was performed.

According to the surgeon it went well.

Already had lunch and trying to recover from the anesthesia. The package its quite uncomfortable but could be tolarated.

A liitle bit of bleeding but not too bad.

Kind Regards

Hi

Back home after two nights at hospital.

Today I was so scare for the package removal…but was really nothing.

Did not feel any pain at all or had a bleeding.

But to be honest the surgery it is not so simple as I thought as I feel really tired..and had some bad moments at the hospital wondering if I took the right decision.

Fortunately I could breath from the nose although it is swollen and I can feel the scars.

I guess will take sometime to recover,,

Kind Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom