Sinus Surgery, thinking about it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had the full roto-router done and the septum chiseled off and relocated twice (1983 and 1991 or so) and a balloon plasty done once. All helped tremendously. I had the first procedure under local....Big mistake. The dreams for years afterward of the sound of the hammer and chisel as I told the doctor, "HEY I CAN FEEL THAT" to which he replied "It's ok we're almost done. The second time was general, much better. I will agree the first time they pulled out the gause (after I ate breakfast. Really? Pinch your nose closed and swallow. Ouch!. The next time they did not put the 6 plus feet of gause in just splints they told me to take out at home later...no big deal. But I do recommend the surgery. Just don't expect it to last forever. 10 to 15 years or so.

I had the full roto-rooter, (all sinuses), also and with a deviated septum repair. I was having problems occasionally with a blocked maxillary sinus when diving, which is what brought me to visit an ENT Dr.
The MRI showed all 6 sinuses were pretty much completely blocked.
Mine was a 5 hour surgery and sent home that day with the nasal splints removed 3 days later.
I was expecting a couple weeks of misery but had absolutely no pain whatsoever. Honestly, I didn't even take one Advil. Two weeks after the surgery when they removed the scabs with a 12 inch pair of forceps was pretty uncomfortable, (I swear he had hold of my brain at one point), but overall I give it two thumbs up!
No more pain when diving, can actually breathe thru both nostrils and I sleep much better.
Thanks again Dr. Mike for suggesting that I visit an ENT Dr.

Back
Top Bottom