Sinus problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danboy785

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knows what I can do about this, I have had problems with my Sinuses for some time and am wondering is there any way to get rid of the pain when diving?

I love diving and don't want sinus problems to stop me so any suggestions would be great!

Sinus/allergy sufferer as well. I use Flonase during "dive season" and a decongestant(I use pseudophedrine also known as sudafed) while diving. It's important to note, if you do use a decongestant you don't want it to wear off while underwater-you'll have major problems

ok thanks, i'll look into getting some decongestant i have heard of sudafed but wasnt sure if it would actually work.

What kind of sinus problems? an infection, deviated septum, etc...

Previously I've just had problems equalizing once i got to 40 feet. I had a whole regiment prescribed to me from my ENT which includes: taking duratuss once per day every day starting the day before i want to dive, using neosynephrine (active ingredient: Phenylephrine Hydrochloride), a nasal spray immediately before the dive, and if i feel particularly stuffy i'll take a claritin in the morning. After this whole regiment I'm okay up to about 80-90 feet.

I've recently found out that I've got sinus infections (sinusitis) which i'm being treated with antibiotics, and a deviated septum which i will be getting surgery on.

I use actifed spray (long lasting). I have found it works better than sudafed with fewer systemic effects.

I think it is sinusitus basically whenever I get a cold it all gets blocked up, now normally it doesnt hurt but of course diving and pressure doesnt help it, a doctor prescribed some nasal spray but it didnt help much...

I take sudafed for 2 weeks straight before a long dive vacation (a couple days if I am doing a weekend 3 tanker) and then an OTC nasal spray just before I gear up and get wet on each dive (for the 3 tanker)

Big word of caution, if you are having problems equalizing while getting down, and get pain in your forehead, abort the dive. Sinus squeeze. I've had it twice and really pushed it the first time and have some residual nerve damange. My ENT told me, if I EVER feel it again, abort the dive, get out of the water and have a beer.

My stepson dove with a mild cold last Nov locally and ended up with a bloody nose when he got out. Needless to say, he was done diving for the day. You just can't tell a 17 year old anything (like, you are not OK to dive with a cold)...Yes I am...sigh...

If you have constant problems, consider having them corrected rather than simply treating the effect.

Beware Sudafed; there is evidence linking it to toxicity if you are diving EAN.

Beware Afrin as well; it can be habit forming.

Also, it sux if either wears off during a dive.

Finally, neither are good for one's BP.

I use Astelline and Nasonex, as well as an antihistimine every day. They keep my ears and sinuses clear.

Green_Manelishi:
Beware Sudafed; there is evidence linking it to toxicity if you are diving EAN.

I have never heard this before. Do you have a reference for this?

Back
Top Bottom