Sinus or tooth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flashover604

Reaction score
Hi all. I encountered something new yesterday. We sunk a piece of culvert on a stand in a local quarry. We did this in two dives. The first was a snorkel to the final position, then descend to about twenty feet for around ten minutes. It really went off without a hitch, and now we have a nice little dive obstacle to play in. After a short (10-15 minute) surface interval, we snorkeled back out (75 yards) descended to twenty feet and ran lines to other features so you can find it underwater. (25 feet, 30 minutes).

The water was about 48 degrees with no noticable thermocline. I was diving wet. On ascent, which is basically slowly following the slope of the quarry floor, I felt a little pain in or under one of my teeth at about ten feet. I had to surface sometime, so I slowly ascended the last ten feet in about two minutes. The pain got worse as I ascended. I took two Sudafed, and about an hour later, two extra strength tylenol. Between taking the sudafed and tylenol, I had a strange "numb teeth" feeling. Starting with my upper left front tooth and moving left with my tongue, I had four teeth that felt numb. Not the gums, just the teeth. This lasted about two hours. The toothache lasted about four hours. It doesn't hurt now, but I can feel a little pressure still. What the heck was that? I'm assuming a sinus squeeze? Thanks in advance.

Zach

Zach , Had the exact same thing happen last year. It is a reverse block in the sinuses from all indications. You can go to the dentist to check for cavities but I'd bet it's not. Mine however was more severe in that the whole side of my face went numb to the point my eye closed! Luckily there was a doctor(our own Doc Harry here on the boards in fact) on site diving. We actually went back down and he supervised and watched me do a 20 minute ascent from 18 feet. Then he treated me with nasal spray and I always carry 800mg Ibuprofen for my arthritis and took two of those. It helped some but it came back on the way home. The numbness and tingling did not go completely away for nearly a week! I'm fine now and no similar incidents since but I know now about diving with a little congestion and having the sudafed wear off! Good luck and keep me posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom