Sinus infections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homeyllama

Contributor
Reaction score
I am blessed with sinus infections every fall and spring. I have the usual allergys, deviated septum, constricted passages, bla,bla, bla. Does diving increase the chances of infection, and is there anything to do pre-dive to help?The doc put me on nasonex,and it has helped. Just wondering if anything short of sticking a grenade up my nose that whould help keep it clear!
LATER!

Hello,

I have the same problem but not that many infections.

I do *NOT* dive when any allergies/infections/etc are going on. I have had reverse blocks from diving while medicated and the effects wears off at depth. Trust me, it's not a good experience to go thru.

When you have sinus problems you have blockage and this will trap gasses and cause pressure injuries and further complications. These are not plesant things to go thru either.

Be safe and don't dive under these conditions. Your just asking for trouble in the end.

Ed

Like you I am blessed with allergies to just about anything. Several years ago (1983) I had a rynoplastie(SP?), nose job. They straightened my deviated septum and cleaned out and ground down one of my sinus.

That helped tremondously. I could breath better and my sinus infection every 3 months or so stopped compleatly for many years. The proceedure gave me better drainage, and so I did not get the infections as often.

I am now due for a tune-up and hope to have the other one done soon as it is starting to cause more problems.

I try not to dive with an infection or stoppage of anykind. I do medicate year round, and before a dive I use a breath-right strip and vicks vapo run all night the night before, then I apply a dose of Afrin 12 hour at least 4 hours before a dive, and another dose just before the dive. So far so good. But again, if I feel anytning but clear headed, I don't dive. The above is just a precaution.

I have never had a reverse blockage, but this is one of my greater concerns.

Check out getting a nose job. You will very likely be happy with the results.

Oh, and by the way, do NOT let them do it under a local. My mistake. I felt almost nothing, but the sound of that hammer and chisel inside my nose, un uh.... and the dreams after wards. Next time is knock me out doc. O course, they were chiseling as the last thing they did, right when things starting waking up. I told the doc I felt somthing, he said, its ok, I'm almost done. Easy for him to say. I also recommend pain killers when they tak out the packing from the nose. Now that hurt!!!

Just mho

Hi HOMEYLLAMA:

Sinus congestion increases the risk of a barotrauma injury when diving. A barotrauma injury could increase the risk of developing a sinus infection.

Anything that reduces the constriction of the passages would help with sinus clearing. Avoidance of allergy triggers is always a good idea if possible. Treatment of allergies with topical steroids like Nasonex or oral antihistamines is often employed. Some divers benefit from oral or nasal (spray) decongestants when they dive. (See elsewhere on-site.) And some divers benefit from surgery to correct any anatomic problems. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing on an Internet message board what will work best for you. Perhaps you could ask your doctor that prescribed the Nasonex?

HTH,

Bill

The above is meant for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

Back
Top Bottom