Sinus Infection and Open Water checkout dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In short, you should not dive until this is all behind you, and it may be worthwhile to continue your education with another organization.
This is NOT a problem with the organization, its a problem with the instructor (who not rarely is an instructor with several organizations btw)...

By "went out of there way to schedule" do you mean that they had something else planned and dropped it to accomodate you (doubtful) or that they scheduled it for you even though they had a regular checkout coming up. BIG difference. Either way, don't take a chance with an infection. It's just not worth taking a chance.

I had done all the book work for Night, Nav, and Deep (3 certs) and only had checkout dives to do and got a tooth infection and had to cancel when the rest of the class was doing the checkouts. I lost a ton of money (the shop wouldn't let me checkout next time they offered the courses) but made the correct decision. BTW I did eventually do those courses, got AOW and eventually Solo - but NOT with that shop.

This is NOT a problem with the organization, its a problem with the instructor (who not rarely is an instructor with several organizations btw)...

Fair enough. I should have made that distinction. The instructor is the problem, and it should be brought to the attention of the organization. Thank you.

BTW ascending upside down, or at least with the head inverted, can sometimes help break through a reverse sinus block. I've seen it done in a chamber, but not in the water.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks for all the information!

I called my dive shop and ended up cancelling the dives. I'll end up getting a referral and completing my certification when I'm on my travels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom