Sinus Infection and Open Water checkout dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazer57

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello!

I am scheduled to do my open water checkout dives this weekend. However, I have come down with a nasty sinus infection/head cold, that is slowly but surely creeping it's way into my lungs.

I have seen a few forums on people using doctor prescribed sudafed for diving, and I called my dive shop and that is what they recommended I try. But I have never used sudafed before in my life, and I would hate to have a bad reaction to it underwater, especially as a new (nervous!) diver.

My dive shop kind of went out of the way to schedule it this weekend for me because I leave the country in a few weeks, and I feel bad that I may have to cancel on them. But at the same time, I am not sure I feel comfortable diving with all the gunk in my head and my lungs.

What would you all recommend I do for this? If there is another forum I should post this to, please let me know.

Thank you so much!

The general recommendation and the one that is probably is in your course material is not to dive if you're not well.
Although side effects from medicines are rare, I don't think a dive is where I'd test them for the very first time...

Not a Dr. of course, but I believe the only problem you really have with a stuffed up nose/sinuses is you may or may not be able to equalize. Just recently though, an instructor told me lung/chest congestion can be way worse. She said in rare cases some stuff can move around and eventually cause problems with breathing or lung overexpansion --something along those lines. Also that it may lead to blackout. First time in my 9 years I've heard of this.

I started a thread on this that got some expert opinions: Diving Medicine subforum, page 4 (maybe 5 now): "Avioli Bursting".

I would start by taking sudafed TODAY and check the results. I know I can use Afrin to clear a stuffy nose and it will last about 10 hours without side effects. I sure would hate to be halfway through dive 2 and find the Sudafed not working.

That being said, if it is on its way to getting worse, I would reschedule the check dive.

If the shop is telling you to use Sudafed with a sinus infection so you can do your check out dives RUN THE HELL AWAY FROM THOSE IDIOTS!

What other BS have they fed you?

Diving with a sinus infection and getting a reverse block could permanently damage you.

I have had a reverse block from a minor allergy flare up when the Sudafed wore off sooner than expected.

The facial paralysis lasted nearly three days. The pain a week. 800mg Ibuprofen managed it. Once I got 2400 mg in me.

All the numbness and tingling finally went away after just over two weeks.

A little congestion is one thing. An infection that may be spreading to your chest/lungs? Do not take any Sudafed.

Go to your doctor, Med Express, etc. Get something to clear that up and cancel the dives.

I can't believe a shop/instructor would be that irresponsible. Well yes I can because greed knows no bounds.

Jesus that pisses me off!

Hello Crazer57 this is no easy solution.
Your lungs are congested you DO NOT DIVE!
I appreciate the scheduling difficulties and or the inconveniences it can cause but I was the one who did the scheduling and re-scheduling.
GO TO THE ENT NOW!
That was and is my advice to those who have allergies / sinus issues, GO NOW AND DO NOT WAIT!
A ENT can tailor a regiment that will be personalized to you with dive friendly meds.

The advice you have been given whether good or bad could hurt you!
Trust the professionals, YOU HAVE TO!
Be safe please go to the ENT!
You will feel better both mentally and physically!

CamG

And just for giggles, Google barotrauma and it's effects, causes, and possible permanent damage from a bad one. It's obvious the shop did not go over this, they glossed over it, or you missed it. Based on their recommendation I'd choose one or two. Allow it to go into your chest and compromise your lung tissue then dive? Look up Arterial Gas Embolism while you're at it as well.

sounds like you need to talk to your doctor

Think about how you feel in general . . . is this the way you want to feel when you are taking on something completely new? The acute nature of the illness would make me cancel the dives.

Jim Lapenta has told a cautionary tale. Not being able to clear your ears or sinuses on descent is not a big deal, but not being able to clear them on ASCENT is horrible. And sinuses are more likely to give you trouble with ascents, because the Ostia (openings) are often quite small.

If you were someone who had been diving a lot time, who knew that under normal circumstances, equalization was dead-bang easy, but who wanted some insurance against problems with a mild cold, I'd probably say go ahead and try it, especially if you were used to Sudafed.

But you've never taken it before, and it makes people shaky and jittery (something you don't need at ALL during your OW checkout dives, which are nervous-making enough in themselves). And you don't know whether you are likely to have problems with equalization just under normal circumstances, let alone while ill.

For many, many reasons, I think this is a bad idea.

I do often take Sudafed when diving - and only the 12 hour version - but it's more of a maintenance thing to help me deal with sluggish clearing that I tend to develop after a lot of repetitive diving. I wouldn't do it to try and dive with an actual cold or sinus infection. While it would help me feel somewhat better on land, it wouldn't be enough to make me ok for diving.

I wouldn't dive in your situation, and a dive shop telling you to take Sudafed to try and get past it doesn't give me good feelings either. I especially think it's a bad idea for a new diver for many reasons. As an experienced diver I know how Sudafed and various situations will affect me. I also have good control over my profile (unlike a new diver who will not have as good buoyancy control, or someone in a class which often involves a few more ups and downs than a regular dive.)

And trust me, you'd prefer to limit your experience with reverse blocks to reading about it in the book.

Back
Top Bottom