Sint Maarten Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Grand Turk in January, 2004 and Saba in January, 2005.

We're getting a group together to go this summer, I'm going to print that out and add it to the stuff I'm showing people!
Ber :bunny:

I seem to remember a couple years ago when you said you were not going to say much about Saba because it was too good a secret to share. Something about not wanting to spoil the "Unspoiled Queen".

I guess the secret was bound to get out eventually. I think I actually posted one of the earlier glowing trip reports, so I guess we share the responsibility!

I just got back from the Virgin Islands again, and believe it or not I'm going to post an unabashed advertisement for a recent newcomer operation down therein a couple days.

Take care, and stay wet.

Marty

I thought we all agreed not to let the cat out of the bag regarding Saba!!!

First - Saint Maarten - ok diving, love Ocean Explorers, Dominique & Leroy & Richard (freediver, bubble watcher, porter of gear) are very cool, laid back, small personal operation. Find their website or pm me for it to read Leroys account of his great white attck off San Fran in the early 60's. Dominique can also arrange your Saba excursion. Also know Tom Burnett - his crew gave me my first taste of diving when the shop was over in Phillipsburg. A good professional group.

The old wreck you dove, Tom, is the Proselyte. I like this one for the ability to soar up & between the rocks. Who said diving was the closest to flying? Good sea life, some larger pelagics, reef sharks, etc. The huge anchors are really neat there. About 45- 60 feet tops.

What is nice is that if you are traveling with non-divers, the proximity of sites makes it easy to do 2 dives, be home for lunch & spend the rest of the day on the beach or shopping & eating. (OK - I'm a woman, I like to shop, especially jewelry!)

Saba is great. I like Little Mike & Big Mike w/ Saba Deep. Drawback - no beaches, not a lot of restaurants, nightlife, shopping, etc. Pluses - leave your doors unlocked, honor bars, quaint, friendly, and DIVING, DIVING, DIVING. I love the Diamond Rock site. About 90 feet to bottom, last trip water was 82 degrees, sweet! As Doc described, just a circle up & around 2 rocks. Viz 100+, I could read the numbers off the hull @ 90 feet. I trail Big Mike like a puppy - he can spot the largest pelagic or smallest micro life!

As for getting there - either approach air or sea - it's not for the faint of heart! The vomit comet will test your ability to keep down breakfast. Many do not make it. Take your Bonine & ginger ale. Winair - great people, the landing is hairy, at best. Someone had a pic of it at some point here. Do a Saba search.

As for keeping it secret, in October, Leroy French was working with a French gentleman, Theirry, on U/W video he was supposed to be making - one each for SM, Saba & Anguilla.

I get so excited thinking about the Saba diving, I may have to check some prices & book a late spring/early summer trip. Next vacation on the books is Bonaire in Oct & I can't wait that long for some warm water!

Hi All:

I've been reading the boards and staying on the sidelines. So much great info. I recently got back from Coz and had a great time (Presidente/ScubaDu)

Going to St. Maarten with a non-diving friend. He has a time-share there so no cost to me. Checked the boards and saw mention of Saba. Well, with such a great report by Doc and others I checked it out and have a reservation with SeaSaba and am awaiting confirmation from Winair for my flight. Lynn at SeaSaba has been excellent in answering all of my questions.

Thanks to all on this board for the info I've picked up. I will post a report on my trip to St. Maarten where I'll do a dive as well as my trip and dives in Saba.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom